Set time delay for a comparator Op-amp circuit

In summary, when the switch is turned on, there is a 10 second delay before the LED turns on. When the switch is turned off, there is a 4 second delay before the LED turns off.
Marshillboy

Homework Statement

[See attached diagram]

I'm trying to design a circuit that connects to the input terminals of the noninverting input of this comparator circuit such that:
-The input to my circuit consists of a SPST switch and a 9 volt battery
-When the switch is thrown on, there would be a 10 second delay before the LED turns on
-When the switch is thrown off, there would be a 4 second delay before the LED turns off

Homework Equations

Op-amps, RC circuit time constants

The Attempt at a Solution

So obviously I'm trying to use some configuration of capacitors and resistors to achieve the proper time constant to fit the specifications of the question. However, I've been messing around with this for awhile now to no avail.

The noninverting input can be set to anything between 1.5-9V.

I think it needs to involve a 330uF capacitor.

I'm not sure how I'm going to achieve two different times using the same component values (and thus same time constant?)

I tried connecting a 28k resistor in series with the voltage source (& switch) to the non-inverting input, with the 330uF capacitor connected between the input and ground, and the inverting voltage set to 6.1v but this configuration of components is not giving me the desired response.

Attachments

• comparator.png
    comparator.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,296
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Marshillboy said:

Homework Statement

[See attached diagram]

I'm trying to design a circuit that connects to the input terminals of the noninverting input of this comparator circuit such that:
-The input to my circuit consists of a SPST switch and a 9 volt battery
-When the switch is thrown on, there would be a 10 second delay before the LED turns on
-When the switch is thrown off, there would be a 4 second delay before the LED turns off

Homework Equations

Op-amps, RC circuit time constants

The Attempt at a Solution

So obviously I'm trying to use some configuration of capacitors and resistors to achieve the proper time constant to fit the specifications of the question. However, I've been messing around with this for awhile now to no avail.

The noninverting input can be set to anything between 1.5-9V.

I think it needs to involve a 330uF capacitor.

I'm not sure how I'm going to achieve two different times using the same component values (and thus same time constant?)

I tried connecting a 28k resistor in series with the voltage source (& switch) to the non-inverting input, with the 330uF capacitor connected between the input and ground, and the inverting voltage set to 6.1v but this configuration of components is not giving me the desired response.

A simple RC circuit like the one below should get the job done.

rc1.gif

The voltage Vc across the capacitor would sit across the Vin terminals.

Simply configure the RC combination such that after [itex]5\tau[/itex] you've obtained the desired delay.

[itex]\tau = RC[/itex]

You need to determine when the output of your comparator is going to be nonzero. (i.e. when the voltage at the positive input terminal exceeds the voltage at the negative input terminal)

You should be able to come up with a similar type of arrangement for the shut off delay, except that when the power is removed, another capacitor will dump previously stored charge across the diode and resistor combination such that the diode is turned off after 4 seconds.

I got it. After many solid hours debugging, turns out one of the supply rails was floating. Oops.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the purpose of setting a time delay for a comparator Op-amp circuit?

The purpose of setting a time delay for a comparator Op-amp circuit is to allow for a certain amount of time for the circuit to stabilize before the comparator starts functioning. This is important because any sudden changes in the input signal can cause false triggering of the comparator, leading to erroneous output readings. By setting a time delay, the circuit is given enough time to settle down and provide accurate results.

2. How do I determine the appropriate time delay for my comparator Op-amp circuit?

The appropriate time delay for a comparator Op-amp circuit can be determined by considering the characteristics of the input signal and the desired output response time. The time delay can be calculated using the RC time constant formula, where R is the resistance and C is the capacitance in the circuit. It is important to choose values for R and C that will provide the desired time delay without affecting the overall performance of the circuit.

3. Can I use a fixed time delay for all types of comparator Op-amp circuits?

No, the appropriate time delay for a comparator Op-amp circuit may vary depending on the specific application and circuit design. Different types of Op-amps may also have different input characteristics that may require a specific time delay. It is important to consider the specific requirements of the circuit and adjust the time delay accordingly.

4. What are some common methods for setting a time delay in a comparator Op-amp circuit?

There are several methods for setting a time delay in a comparator Op-amp circuit, including using a resistor-capacitor (RC) circuit, a diode-capacitor circuit, or an external timer IC. The method chosen will depend on the specific requirements and design of the circuit. It is important to carefully consider the advantages and limitations of each method before selecting one for your circuit.

5. Can I adjust the time delay of a comparator Op-amp circuit after it has been set?

In most cases, the time delay of a comparator Op-amp circuit can be adjusted after it has been set. This can be done by changing the values of the resistors or capacitors in the circuit. However, it is important to carefully consider the impact of these changes on the overall performance of the circuit and make adjustments accordingly. It is always recommended to test the circuit after any changes to ensure that it is still functioning as desired.