Register to reply

Finding half-power frequency.

by perplexabot
Tags: frequency, halfpower
Share this thread:
perplexabot
May31-12, 07:37 PM
P: 210
Hi all. I'm trying to do a circuit problem in my book. The circuit consists of a resistor, capacitor, inductor and a voltage source all in series. The first part of the question says: Find the resonance frequency and half-power frequencies. My book does go on and solve this problem with two different methods using given formulas for series RLC circuits, however, I would like to solve this circuit without formulas (if possible). My problem is calculating the half-power frequency not the resonance frequency.

Given:
R = 2 Ohms
L = 1 mF
C = .4 microH

My approach:
Transfer function: H(s) = R + sL + 1/sC => H(ω) = j(ω*R*C) + (1 - [ω^2 * L * C])

Magnitude of Transfer function: |H(ω)| = √( (ω*R*C)^2 + (1 - [ω^2 * L * C])^2 )
Set Magnitude of Transfer function equal to 1/√2 or set Magnitude of Transfer function squared equal to 1/2:
|H(ω)| = 1/√2 or |H(ω)|^2 = 1/2
Solving for this I get ω1 = -27k or ω2 = -65k

Obviously this is wrong due to the negative ω's. Not only is the sign wrong but also the magnitude. The book achieved the answers: ω1 = 49k or ω2 = 51k

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong (don't tell me to use formulas please)?
Thank you for your time.

PS: This is NOT a homework problem.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
vk6kro
May31-12, 10:04 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,016
Resonance happens when the reactances of the capacitor and inductor are equal.

The Q (or Q factor) of a circuit is equal to the reactance of the inductor at resonance divided by the resistance of the resistor.

So, you may like to look up Q factor on Wikipedia or a text book to see how to derive the bandwidth.
perplexabot
May31-12, 11:32 PM
Can you get the halfpower frequency from the transfer function?

the_emi_guy
Jun1-12, 12:34 AM
P: 585
Finding half-power frequency.

At DC your power dissipation is 0 (cap is blocking current). At very high freq, power dissipation is 0 (inductor is blocking current). At resonance your power dissipation is
(V^2)/R since the LC is series resonant and behaves like a short, all of the input voltage is across the resistor.

There will be two half power frequencies, one above and one below resonance, where the circuit power dissipation is (V^2)/2R, or the voltage across the resistor is 0.707Vin.

Your transfer function needs to be in the form of output/input.
In this case, since we are finding power consumption, which only occurs in the resistor, our output is the voltage across the resistor. Vr/Vin = R/(R + sL + 1/sc).
Next, set Vr/Vin = 0.707 and solve for freq.
NascentOxygen
Jun1-12, 09:00 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,142
Quote Quote by perplexabot View Post
My approach:
Transfer function: H(s) = R + sL + 1/sC => H(ω) = j(ω*R*C) + (1 - [ω^2 * L * C])
=> H(ω) = 1/(jωC) ( j(ω*R*C) + (1 - [ω^2 * L * C]))
Magnitude of Transfer function: |H(ω)| = √( (ω*R*C)^2 + (1 - [ω^2 * L * C])^2 )
Obviously can't be right.
perplexabot
Jun27-12, 03:00 AM
Quote Quote by the_emi_guy View Post
At DC your power dissipation is 0 (cap is blocking current). At very high freq, power dissipation is 0 (inductor is blocking current). At resonance your power dissipation is
(V^2)/R since the LC is series resonant and behaves like a short, all of the input voltage is across the resistor.

There will be two half power frequencies, one above and one below resonance, where the circuit power dissipation is (V^2)/2R, or the voltage across the resistor is 0.707Vin.

Your transfer function needs to be in the form of output/input.
In this case, since we are finding power consumption, which only occurs in the resistor, our output is the voltage across the resistor. Vr/Vin = R/(R + sL + 1/sc).
Next, set Vr/Vin = 0.707 and solve for freq.
Thank you. Now I know that in order to solve for the cutoff frequencies my transfer function has to be in the form of Vo/Vi and not in the form of impedence as I had tried. Using Vo/Vi works. Thanks again and sorry for the super late reply.

Register to reply