Tags: assassinated, scientists
Share this thread:
Ivan Seeking
Jan25-05, 12:27 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
This story has been running in the fringe for some time. One major newspaper has now addressed the claim. Personally, I don't have an opinion yet other than the automatic response: It is probably just a coincidence and/or another internet conspiracy theory.

Author airs conspiracy theory on Im’s death
The death of retired research Professor Jeong Im has all the makings of a spy novel, and some say that idea isn’t far off base.

Someone stabbed the 72-year-old scientist multiple times in the Maryland Avenue parking garage at the University of Missouri-Columbia, put him in the trunk of his Honda and set the car on fire. Adding to the mystery, police say a hooded, masked man was seen carrying a gas can away from the scene.

...After last week’s "Coast to Coast" show, the Tribune received numerous e-mails and phone calls from people around the country who accept Quayle’s idea. "The pattern that’s emerging would be disturbing to any statistician," said Bill Stockglausner of Columbia. "The list is factual, and it appears strange that this is happening to these people who were in a certain profession." [continued]
http://www.columbiatribune.com/2005/...123News004.asp

Quayle
http://freepress2005.blogspot.com/20...iologists.html
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Kakarot
Jan25-05, 04:22 PM
P: 65
you better watch out!
matthyaouw
Jan26-05, 04:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
I'm suddenly glad I went for for earth sciences over biology...

selfAdjoint
Jan26-05, 10:32 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
Are scientists being assassinated?

I notice that the articles doesn't mention any other scientists except Im, except the five Israeli ones whose plane was shot down. That case can certainly be explained on other bases?
selfAdjoint
Jan26-05, 10:32 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
I notice that the articles doesn't mention any other scientists thant Im, except the five Israeli ones whose plane was shot down. That case can certainly be explained on other bases?
cronxeh
Jan26-05, 11:05 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
Pretty strange that it happened right after Sept 11th..

These researches knew how to make bio/chem weapons and instead of assigning a body guard to each one, 'they', probably decided to take them out
Moonbear
Jan26-05, 06:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
If you eliminate the suicide, stroke, and plane crash victims, then rule out the one where they think the guy's daughter killed him, look at the locations of all the rest. The murdered ones are hardly happening in the middle of suburbia, they're happening in places like parking garages in some pretty rough cities. Rather than focusing on their profession, one should focus on other local crimes fitting the same pattern. It's more likely each was just one of many victims if attacks in crime-ridden neighborhoods. I was just talking with a colleague today about the extra ventillation provided by the bullet holes in buildings at Johns Hopkins. I'm sure if one day someone gets killed by one of those bullets, the conspiracy theorist can make some connection between their research and that of these others killed.

Of course, this isn't to say there couldn't be some fringe group out there bumping off microbiologists. It's certainly not a conspiracy theory that primate researchers are frequently under attack from radical animal rights groups, they come right out and admit that's what they are doing. But, the variety of ways these people were killed and the number of places around the world where they lived suggests it's a better example of why data mining is a bad way to find solid conclusions.
Hurkyl
Jan26-05, 06:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,098
But, the variety of ways these people were killed and the number of places around the world where they lived suggests it's a better example of why data mining is a bad way to find solid conclusions.
I disagree -- it's an example of data mining used badly. Like any other statistical tool, data mining is great when used properly.
cronxeh
Jan26-05, 07:32 PM
PF Gold
yes but the fact still remains - the top scientists were killed - one way or another..

i mean seriously.. how many biology ph.d's are out there?

according to bls.gov : Biological scientists held about 75,000 jobs in 2002. I dont know about this.. I mean I saw most of those guys on the science channel - David Kelly (assassinated in 2003), Vladimir Pasechnik (i saw him on discovery times channel).. besides their age.. 40.. 46.. 50.. 55.. 65.. 70.. do ppl die at those age?? hardly
matthyaouw
Jan27-05, 01:43 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cronxeh
yes but the fact still remains - the top scientists were killed - one way or another..

David Kelly (assassinated in 2003),
Yes, top scientists did die, but that is not the issue. Everyone dies. What we need is evidence that they were specifically targetted due to their profession.

The David Kelly who you mention... Are you referring to the UK government scientist? If so, i think you'll find he took his own life, and the authorities had no reason to suspect otherwise.
cronxeh
Jan27-05, 02:16 PM
PF Gold
there was an inquiry, and he didnt commit suicide - anybody with an IQ over 40 can figure that out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3082707.stm
http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/kellyinquiry/

http://www.fromthewilderness.com/fre...3_kelly_1.html

Besides if you really get down to it and think about it - what biologist would commit suicide? they went into the field BECAUSE they loved life and saw thea beauty in it. It makes sense for an MBA or a financial analyst to jump outa the window, for good.
matthyaouw
Jan27-05, 03:08 PM
PF Gold
Yes, there was an inquiry into his death, but it was not a murder inquiry. Do you understand the purpose of the enquiry?
A summary can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutton_Inquiry
And the full enquiry here: http://www.the-hutton-inquiry.org.uk/content/report/

If the information in your third reference were to be entirely correct, why was there no press coverage, and why wasn't there a murder enquiry?

As for your last arguement: Are you serious? You make no sense whatsoever. There are more factors involved than career. being a biologist does not mean unconditional happiness, nor does being a financial analyst mean unhappiness.
Dayle Record
Jan27-05, 09:10 PM
P: 464
Yes, it is nearing fifty, and they are Microbiologists, that work with pathogens, and bio-weapons. I know one in Utah, that no one mentioned yet.
Moonbear
Jan27-05, 11:58 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by cronxeh
Besides if you really get down to it and think about it - what biologist would commit suicide? they went into the field BECAUSE they loved life and saw thea beauty in it. It makes sense for an MBA or a financial analyst to jump outa the window, for good.
Not a very good argument there. Biologists are just as prone to suffer depression as the next person, and any career scientist faces a lot of competition, and ups and downs, and dry spells in funding that can be incredibly stressful and depressing. You don't go into biology because you love life and see the beauty in it, it's just like all the other scientists, where you see a problem that needs solving and you want to solve it.

If I went hunting for it, I could probably find 50 people around the world in any profession who were killed by reasons other than natural causes in the past 4 years.
Smurf
Jan28-05, 12:06 AM
P: 2,891
around the world? I was under the impression they were all american
cronxeh
Jan28-05, 09:14 AM
PF Gold
ok fine Moonbear and matthy. I guess the world isnt as ideal as I saw it..

But if 40+ experts in germ warfare mysteriously die after 9/11, and there is a 'war on terror' going on - maybe, just maybe, its a cause for concern
Dayle Record
Jan28-05, 10:40 AM
P: 464
Here is a sort of list.

http://www.stevequayle.com/dead_scie...sts.chron.html

A while ago I saw a Nova regarding an African Tribe near Madagascar, that claimed to be of Jewish descent. Their ancient tales were taken down and their migration was traced to the middle east, and it was established that they carried what is called The Coheneen (sp?) Gene, which is the only male chromosomal genetic inheritance line, the rest of us are traced from the Eve material in Africa. This is PBS, so I assume that is above board. After seeing this I had read from a reputable source that there were no Jewish women, in the beginning of this line of descent, the wives were all from other groups. (Is this the origin of the Adamic myth?)

Supposedly there was some weapons research going on in reference to this gene, and everyone involved perished. I read this, on the web, probably some wild conspiracy in regards to the great dying of geneticists and microbiologists.

http://www.barzan.com/kevin_brook.htm

This link is to an article that discusses and then waters down the existence of the Cohen Haplotype.

The geneticist Michael Hammer, has a lot of writings about this whole genetic investigation.
russ_watters
Jan28-05, 12:03 PM
Mentor
P: 22,237
Quote Quote by cronxeh
Pretty strange that it happened right after Sept 11th..

These researches knew how to make bio/chem weapons and instead of assigning a body guard to each one, 'they', probably decided to take them out
You may have misread - this one guy died soon after 9/11. The other 40 mentioned died over a 4 year period. There's nothing at all strange about that.
But if 40+ experts in germ warfare mysteriously die after 9/11, and there is a 'war on terror' going on - maybe, just maybe, its a cause for concern.
Yeah, it would be -- if it were true. That isn't what was claimed.

And that list: all bio-weapons experts? No. All biologists? Still no. They threw in a few extras for good measure:
#31: Dr. Eugene Mallove, Age: 56. Died: May 14, 2004. Murdered in attack at end of his driveway. Alt. Energy Expert who was working on viable energy alternative program and announcement. Norwich Free Academy graduate. Beaten to death during an alleged robbery. Mallove was well respected for his knowledge of cold fusion. He had just published an “open letter” outlining the results of and reasons for his last 15 years in the field of “new energy research.” Dr. Mallove was convinced it was only a matter of months before the world would actually see a free energy device.
Most are biologists, but it also includes physicists, chemists, and environmental scientists, etc.

Register to reply