Physics problem, why is my answer wrong? HELPPP

• Thread starter CinderBlockFist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, two neutron stars with a mass of 10^30 kg and a radius of 10^5 m are initially at rest with respect to each other and separated by a distance of 10^13 m. When their separation has decreased to one-half its initial value, they are moving at a speed of 3.652 x 10^3 m/s. This can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation which takes into account the final distance, initial distance, and the initial and final kinetic and potential energies. In part B, where the neutron stars collide, the final distance is 2 times the initial radius, and the final velocity before the collision can be calculated using the same equation. It is
CinderBlockFist
Two neutron stars are separated by a distance of 10^13 m. They each have a mass of 10^30 kg and a radius of 10^5 m. They are initially at rest with respect to each other.

(a) How fast are they moving when their separation has decreased to one-half its initial value?

My answer is 3.652 x 10^3 m/s , and it is wrong again (sigh).

here is my computations

1/2(mass)(final velocity)^2 - G(M1)(m2)/Final distance = 1/2(mass)(initial velocity)^2 - G(M1)(m2)/(initial radius)

Since they are initially at rest, the vi term is zero, and that kinetic energy term vanishes. Then i plug in the values and solve for final velocity:

1/2(10^30)(final velocity)^2 - (6.67x10^-11)(10^30)^2/(5x10^12) = -(6.67x10^-11)(10^30)^2/(10^13)

so I isolate for final velocity and i get (final velocity)^2 = 1.33 x 10^7

and i get final velocity = 3.652 x 10^3, when i input it it says it is wrong. Can someone help me, where did i go wrong? I did it multiple times already.

Physics news on Phys.org
you have a 2 different ways to approach this problem
1. use reduced mass and the centrifugal force=gravitational force
2. use conservation of energy

both with end up with the same answer :wink:

I used conservation of energy, so where did i go wrong?

I used

Potential Energy Final + Kinetic Energy final = Potential energy initial + kinetic energy initial

the neutron starS are orbiting around each other... and the both have velocity and contain KE

In this problem, are you are they are orbiting around each other? Cauase in part B they collide, so I assumed they are in a straight line path toward each other. WTF

part b? you didn't mention that...
even if they are moving in a straight line, both neutron stars are moving (with same speed).

CinderBlockFist said:
Two neutron stars are separated by a distance of 10^13 m. They each have a mass of 10^30 kg and a radius of 10^5 m. They are initially at rest with respect to each other.

1/2(mass)(final velocity)^2 - G(M1)(m2)/Final distance = 1/2(mass)(initial velocity)^2 - G(M1)(m2)/(initial radius)

1/2(10^30)(final velocity)^2 - (6.67x10^-11)(10^30)^2/(5x10^12) = -(6.67x10^-11)(10^30)^2/(10^13)

Part A: Your equation is set up right, however you need to multiply the final kinetic energy by 2 since you have 2 neutron stars. final distance = 1/2 initial distance, subsitute that into the equation. Also you shouldn't really label r as the initial radius, because this part of the problem uses the distance (10^13m).

Part B: uses the same equation, but the distance is now 2x the radius which would be the diameter.

Should really work with variables first to simplify the equation, then start plugging in values.

Also what school do you go to? I was working on this same problem a couple of hours ago.

Last edited:
my part B) says: how fast are they moving just before they collide?

_____ m/s

teknodude said:
Part A: Your equation is set up right, however you need to multiply the final kinetic energy by 2 since you have 2 neutron stars. final distance = 1/2 initial distance, subsitute that into the equation. Also you shouldn't really label r as the initial radius, because this part of the problem uses the distance (10^13m).

Part B: uses the same equation, but the distance is now 2x the radius which would be the diameter.

Should really work with variables first to simplify the equation, then start plugging in values.

Also what school do you go to? I was working on this same problem a couple of hours ago.

ahhh, i see, i didn't realize i had to multiply the final kinetic energy by 2...i missed that key point. Ok leme try to do my computations , brb TY.

check ur pm box tekno

1. Why does my answer not match the correct solution?

There could be a variety of reasons why your answer does not match the correct solution in a physics problem. It could be due to a calculation error, using the wrong formula, or not considering all relevant variables. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure you are using the correct equations and values.

2. How can I check my work to find where I went wrong?

To check your work in a physics problem, it is helpful to break down your solution into smaller steps and double check each one. You can also try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same result. If you are still having trouble, it may be beneficial to ask a classmate or instructor for assistance.

3. I followed all the steps correctly, why is my answer still incorrect?

Even if you follow all the steps correctly, there may be hidden assumptions or approximations in the problem that can affect the final answer. It is important to carefully read the problem and make sure you are considering all relevant information. Also, make sure you are using the correct units and conversions in your calculations.

4. Is there a way to avoid making mistakes in physics problems?

Making mistakes in physics problems is a common occurrence, but there are steps you can take to minimize them. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. Make sure you are using the correct formula and values, and double check your work as you go. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of problems to become more familiar with the concepts and equations.

5. What should I do if I still cannot solve the problem?

If you are struggling to solve a physics problem, do not get discouraged. It is important to ask for help from your instructor or classmates. They may be able to offer a different perspective or point out a mistake you may have overlooked. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller parts and solving them individually. Remember, practice and persistence are key to improving your problem-solving skills in physics.