Register to reply

G-Force and (possibly) Centrifugal force applied to the rotation of a car

by SignSeeker7
Tags: centifugal, centripetal, g-force
Share this thread:
SignSeeker7
Jun3-12, 12:40 PM
P: 14
1. I'm in my first year of physics, and the end-of-year project is a bit of a doozy: find two examples of misapplied physics in movies and explain how it's wrong. For my first example, I chose a scene from the movie "The Iron Giant," in which the Giant picks up a car with Hogarth, our child protagonist, inside, and then rotates his torso incredibly fast, like a merry-go-round. I noticed that despite the incredible speed, no "centrifugal" force was being applied; Hogarth was sitting in the driver's seat, but not moving towards the outside of the car.
I'm having trouble with the centrifugal force, which I believe is an equal-but-opposite reaction to centripetal force (though I'm not quite sure), and calculating the G-force, which I'm not sure how to do.

radius- assuming Hogarth's claim that the Giant is 100 ft. tall, and that the Giant is similarly proportional to a human, the radius - the length of his arm- would be approximately 50 feet, or 15.24 meters.
Speed- about 5 revolutions in 2 seconds- 150 revolutions in 1 minute, or 1 revolution in 0.4 seconds.
Velocity- 239.39 meters/second.
Mass- assuming the mass of the car is about 5000 lbs. and Hogarth is about 80 lbs., then their combined total is about 2304.25 kg.
Centripetal acceleration- 3,755.94 meters per second squared
Centripetal force- 8,654,630 N

2. Ac = V squared / r
V = (2∏r)/T
Fc = (m[V squared]) / r

3. I've found a bunch of factors, but I'm not sure how they relate to each other and how they show that Hogarth should be suffering from more G-force and moving outwards.
And I'm not sure I'm even applying the correct equations or principles, or if what I'm trying to find is what I actually need to find.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds

Register to reply