Arc length & area of surface of revolution

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to finding the area of a surface of revolution and the arc length of a catenary curve. The first question involves revolving a cardioid about the x-axis and finding the area of the resulting surface. The second question involves finding the number of square meters of roofing in a warehouse using the arc length of a catenary curve. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of drawing graphs and showing previous attempts at solving the problems.
hiy312
Hi everyone! I have two questions, one about area of surface of revolution and another is about arc length...
I really fail to do this two question despite many times of trying so I hope someone can help me

1. Find the area of the surface of revolution generated by revolving the arc of the cardioid " x = 2 cos θ - cos 2θ, y = 2 sin θ - sin 2θ " about the X-axis.
2. A warehouse is 75m long and 40m wide. A cross-section of the roof is the inverted catenary y = 31 - 10 (e^0.05x + e^-0.05x). Find the number of square metres of roofing in the warehouse. Hint: Find the arc length of the catenary and multiply this by the length of the warehouse.

I would be really grateful if you can help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hiy312

You should draw the graph to understand the region that makes up the surface when rotated about the x-axis. See the attached picture.

Now, you just find the polar equation of the cardioid. Here is what i get: ##r=\sqrt{5-4\cos 3\theta}## and convert to Cartesian form.

Then, you can find the area of the upper half of the solid by projecting onto the xy-plane, and multiply by 2, to get the total area.

Edit: I just realized that with the volume, you'll have to consider a z variable into the equation of the surface of revolution.

Attachments

• graph.gif
    graph.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
I'm glad to know that you have tried (many times!). Please show what you have doine so we won't repeat it.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm glad to know that you have tried (many times!). Please show what you have doine so we won't repeat it.

Agreed. :smile:

1. What is the definition of arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curve or arc, measured in linear units, from one point to another.

2. How is arc length calculated?

Arc length can be calculated using the formula L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where the integral is taken from the starting point to the ending point of the curve.

3. What is the formula for the area of surface of revolution?

The formula for the area of surface of revolution is A = ∫2πy√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where the integral is taken from the starting point to the ending point of the curve.

4. How is the arc length related to the area of surface of revolution?

The arc length is a part of the surface of revolution and is used to calculate the area of the surface. The area of the surface is equal to the arc length multiplied by the circumference of the circle formed by revolving the curve.

5. Can the arc length and area of surface of revolution be calculated for any curve?

Yes, the arc length and area of surface of revolution can be calculated for any curve as long as the curve is continuous and has a defined starting and ending point.