Help with a Geometry Problem - Calculating The Radius of a Curve

In summary, a rule of thumb for calculating the radius of a curve using a chord and a versine states that for a chord length of 20m, the versine measured in mm (v) divided by 50000 gives the radius in meters (R). However, the symbols used in the problem are incorrect and should instead follow the symbols used on www.mathopenref.com/arcradius.html. Using this method, a versed sine of H=25mm and a chord length of W=20m will result in a radius of R=2000m.
tomtomtom1
Hello all

I work in transport engineering. i have come across what seems to be a simple maths problem but i do not understand it.

The problem relates to geometry i.e. calculating the radius of a curve using a chord and a versine.

The problem is this:-

" a general rule of thumb is as follows: with a chord length on 20m, the versine measured in mm (v) divided by 50000 gives the radius in meters (R) i.e. v=25mm -25/50000=2000-R=2000m"

when i work this out i do not get 2000m. also the problem shows a -25 it could be a minus or just a dash i cannot be sure.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you for your help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tomtomtom1 said:
Hello all

I work in transport engineering. i have come across what seems to be a simple maths problem but i do not understand it.

The problem relates to geometry i.e. calculating the radius of a curve using a chord and a versine.

The problem is this:-

" a general rule of thumb is as follows: with a chord length on 20m, the versine measured in mm (v) divided by 50000 gives the radius in meters (R) i.e. v=25mm -25/50000=2000-R=2000m"

when i work this out i do not get 2000m. also the problem shows a -25 it could be a minus or just a dash i cannot be sure.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thank you for your help

Well, your confusion is justified. It's an incoherent mess. None of those minus signs is a minus sign. Check the page www.mathopenref.com/arcradius.html and you should understand what is happening. Following the symbols used on that page, plug in a versed sine of H=25mm and a chord length of W=20m and you get the desired result of R=2000m.

1. How do I calculate the radius of a curve in geometry?

Calculating the radius of a curve in geometry involves using the formula R = (L^2)/(8h) where R is the radius, L is the length of the curve, and h is the height of the curve. This formula can be applied to both circular and non-circular curves.

2. What is the difference between the radius of a curve and the radius of a circle?

The radius of a curve refers to the distance from the center of the curve to any point on the curve, while the radius of a circle is the distance from the center of the circle to its outer edge. In other words, the radius of a curve can vary at different points along the curve, while the radius of a circle is constant.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the radius of a curve?

No, the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles and cannot be used to calculate the radius of a curve. The formula for calculating the radius of a curve (R = (L^2)/(8h)) takes into account the height of the curve, which is not a factor in the Pythagorean Theorem.

4. How does the length of the curve affect the radius?

The length of the curve is directly proportional to the radius, meaning that as the length of the curve increases, the radius also increases. This is because a longer curve will have a greater distance from the center to any point on the curve, resulting in a larger radius.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the radius of a curve?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the radius of a curve by plugging in the values for the length (L) and height (h) into the formula R = (L^2)/(8h). However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the formula and how it works in order to ensure accurate calculations.