Register to reply

Theoretical Neuroscience - Which Undergrad Major?

Share this thread:
tsangha
Jun7-12, 05:39 AM
P: 3
Hello.

I'm currently a junior undergraduate at a liberal arts school. Next year I'm transferring to Columbia's engineering program through a wonderful Combined Plan Program. If anyone knows anything about this, I would love some more information than just what I could find on their website. By this program, I get a BA from my arts school, and a BS from Columbia.

For the BS, I have to decide on a major within their engineering field. The two top choices for me are Applied Mathematics and Computer Science. As for my future career goals, I'm hoping to enroll in an MD-PhD program somewhere in the country, too early to say where. For the PhD half of this program, I am quite certain that I would like to do Theoretical Neuroscience -- which is already a very interdisciplinary field. My question is what kind of undergraduate preparation would be best for work in this field? I'm interested in memory, attention, decision-making, and learning from a complex adaptive networks perspective.

The way it seems to me at the moment, I could do applied mathematics and gain some foundations in creating models etc, and Columbia offers a remarkable amount of freedom in choosing what courses/specialties to take in the field - meaning I could begin working already on some biologically-inspired models. If I do CompSci, I would take artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, etc. but do only limited work on biologically-relevant models of cognition.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief

Register to reply