Register to reply

TE TM modes, optical fiber waveguide

by Bassalisk
Tags: fiber, modes, optical, waveguide
Share this thread:
Bassalisk
Jun16-12, 04:13 PM
P: 951
So I've been away for a long time, I had a lot of stuff to do. But recently I've come across the topic of optoelectronics, and a lot of things are bugging me.

I find concepts of waveguides very hard to accept, mainly because most textbooks go into explaining it with math, with little or no physical background.

So to the question:

We have this TM and TE modes of the EM wave. I can understand that when we are talking about EM waves, like ones from antenna or so.
Question arose when I look at those types of waves, and I said well how the heck am I going to get a TM wave? Aren't all EM waves transverse? So I went in deep, and found out it can be made with a loop antenna or so, and I settled down with that answer.

But then I went into studying waveguides in optoelectronics, and I was again lost. I understand how would you make a TM or TE wave with antenna, but how do you make a TM or TE wave with light?

This one of MANY questions I currently have, but lets start with this.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment

Register to reply