Fast enough clocks to beat the speed of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of clocks ticking faster than the speed of light and if it is possible to translate the speed of light into a clock's ticking rate. The discussion also mentions the Planck frequency as a potential upper limit for frequency and its relationship to the speed of light. The conversation ends with the person clarifying that they are not trying to stop time or pursue any pseudo science, but rather they are working on a different technology and are curious about the possibility of clocks meeting their demands.
Dilbert
fast enough clocks to beat the "speed of light"

fast clocks, how fast?

the speed of light is approx 300 000 000 m/s, is there some way to translate that into an effect that can be compared to the "speed" of a clock. and if so, are there any fast enough clocks to beat the "speed of light"

if there are any clocks, please list them.

And please do not list an atomic clock if you have not done any math (if that is possible)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by:

Dilbert said:
fast clocks, how fast?

the speed of light is approx 300 000 000 m/s, is there some way to translate that into an effect that can be compared to the "speed" of a clock. and if so, are there any fast enough clocks to beat the "speed of light"

if there are any clocks, please list them.

And please do not list an atomic clock if you have not done any math (if that is possible)

You mean clocks that are moving??There are tons in the Gedankenexperimente in SR...If not,then what do u mean??

Daniel.

well, a clock that can tick faster than the speed of light.

i do not know how to "translate" m/s to "ticks" a second.

The "ticking" of clocks has nothing to so with the speed of light...One is measured in Hz (which means "oscillations per second") and the other one is measured in [tex] \displaystyle{ms^{-1}} [/tex].

Daniel.

yes, i know that. and hence i was wondering if it can be "translated".

What do you mean "translated"??Time intervals can be nomatter how big (even infinite) or small (10^{-23}s in nuclear interactions),while the speed cannot exceed "c"...

Please be a little more specific.

Daniel.

okay, let's start here:

you would need a rather precise clock to determine the exact 299 792 458 m/s of the light, would one not?

Dilbert said:
yes, i know that. and hence i was wondering if it can be "translated".

speculative "translating" between different types of physical quantity (between energy and frequency, between energy and mass, between temperature and voltage, whatever...etc. etc.)

sometimes turn out OK, and when they do it is usually because of
the emergence of some kind of "natural unit"

a "clock ticking" usually means a FREQUENCY

one way to restate your question is this "Is there any upper limit on frequency which is analogous to how the speed of light is an upper limit on speed?"

In fact there is a very high frequency called "Planck frequency" which no manmade device has ever attained and which may be thought of as an upper limit on frequency of electromagnetic waves or physical vibrations

something traveling the speed of light is, in effect, advancing in Planck length steps at Planck frequency
in a naive picture of space broken up into little Plancklength steps then to go the speed of light one would have to advance one step every Plancktime tick of the Planckfrequency clock.

then one could indeed speak of Planck frequency as equivalent (in that limited sense) to the speed of light

but that is only in a a naive imaginary case of a discrete space, I feel sure that things are not that simple (one can probably prove by ordinary relativity that it is not) but something vaguely like that might be

so at the level of nature's built-in system of units (planck units) there is some analogy between speed and frequency----dont want to encourage you or anyone to pursue this seriously however

i assure you, i am not trying to "stop" time, nor any kind of pseudo science that goes against Einstein. :)
I am actually working on an unrelated technology that became more difficult than i anticipated.

i am insterested in knowing if there is any clock that meets my demands or if it is possible to interconnect clocks so precisly that it would appear that they could reach higher frequency (than the light?)

1. How is it possible for a clock to beat the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. However, this limit only applies to objects with mass. A clock does not have mass, so it is not bound by this limit and can theoretically operate at any speed.

2. How fast do clocks need to be to beat the speed of light?

There is no set speed that a clock must operate at in order to beat the speed of light. As long as the clock does not have mass, it will not be bound by the speed of light and can operate at any speed.

3. Is it possible for a clock to travel faster than the speed of light?

No, it is not possible for any object, including a clock, to travel faster than the speed of light. This is a fundamental principle of the universe and is supported by numerous experiments and observations.

4. What would happen if a clock did travel faster than the speed of light?

If a clock were to somehow travel faster than the speed of light, it would violate the laws of physics. This would have unpredictable and likely impossible consequences, as it would require an infinite amount of energy and would result in time travel or the creation of a black hole.

5. Are there any known examples of "fast enough" clocks?

There are no known examples of clocks that operate at speeds faster than the speed of light. However, scientists continue to study and explore the limits of time and space, so it is possible that in the future we may discover new technologies or principles that could allow for such clocks to exist.