Help needed - Spinning wheel, torque, angular acceleration.

In summary, the problem involves a spinning cylindrical wheel of mass 0.013 kg and angular velocity ωo (78.54 rad/s) that begins to decelerate at an unknown constant deceleration α, spinning a distance of θ (0.887 radians) before a metal rod is placed inside at a distance of 0.6 cm radius from the origin. The goal is to determine the torque and linear force exerted on the metal rod when stopping the wheel. The equations used are θ = ωot + (1/2)α t2, ω2 = ωo2 + 2α (θ-θo), I = (1/2)Mr2, L =
Fjolvar

Homework Statement

There is a spinning cylindrical wheel of mass 0.013 kg at a given constant angular velocity ωo (78.54 rad/s). The wheel instantaneously begins to decelerate at an unknown constant deceleration α. From when it begins to decelerate, the wheel spins a distance of θ (0.887 radians) before a metal rod is placed inside of the wheel at a distance of 0.6cm radius from the origin, bringing the wheel to a stop by making contact with one of the spokes BEFORE the wheel completely decelerates (so the wheel is still in motion as the rod is placed inside). What is the torque and linear force exerted on the metal rod when stopping the wheel?

Homework Equations

θ = ωot + (1/2)α t2
ω2 = ωo2 + 2α (θ-θo)
I = (1/2)Mr2
L = r x p = r x mv = Iω
τ = I*α = r x F = r*F*sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I chose to use rotational kinematic equations to determine the torque value.

First I calculated the angular deceleration by using the rotational kinematic equation, assuming ω=0 and θo=0 :
ω2 = ωo2 + 2α (θ-θo). This gave me α = -3477 rad/s2.

Then I calculated the moment of intertia of a cylinder using the parallel axis theorem about the point of contact, I = Icm + mr2, which gave me a value of 4.844*10-7.

Finally plugging I and α into the equation for torque τ = I*α, I got τ = -0.00956 N*m and force value of 1.593 N using the equation τ= r*F*sinθ (assuming θ to be 90 degrees since the rod is inserted perpindicular to the wheel).

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on my methods of solving this problem, since I'm unsure if this answer or method is correct. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just made the observation, since the rod is placed into the wheel before it fully decelerates to zero, this makes for non-constant deceleration and thus makes the rotational kinematic equations unuseable correct?

1. What is a spinning wheel?

A spinning wheel is a mechanical device used for spinning fibers into yarn or thread. It typically consists of a large wheel connected to a spindle, which rotates and twists the fibers together to form the yarn.

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does torque relate to a spinning wheel?

In a spinning wheel, torque is necessary to turn the wheel and create the tension needed to twist the fibers together. The amount of torque required depends on factors such as the size and weight of the wheel, the type of fibers being spun, and the desired thickness of the yarn.

4. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. In the context of a spinning wheel, it refers to how quickly the wheel is rotating, or spinning, and how that speed changes over time.

5. How does angular acceleration affect a spinning wheel?

The angular acceleration of a spinning wheel can affect the tension and thickness of the yarn being produced. A higher angular acceleration will result in a tighter twist and thicker yarn, while a lower angular acceleration will produce a looser twist and thinner yarn.