Testing a drug's effect on survival across multiple distinct studies

by user529
Tags: distinct, drug, effect, multiple, studies, survival, testing
user529
Jun30-12, 09:37 AM
P: 1
I have survival and other data for between ~1000 patients from different studies with indications varying from organ transplantation to cancer. Patients within this cohort will have been drawn from many different studies in which the objective - long-term graft survival, overall survival rate, metatstasis free survival, organ acute rejection rate, graft loss, etc. - was different. I want to essentially control for all the variables of disease (cancer, organ disease and severity), sex, age, etc. to find out the effect of one explanatory variable - use of drug X as opposed to drugs Y, Z, etc. - on survival/time to death of patients. In the case of organ transplantation, drug X is used as an immunosuppressant: it's primary objective is not to treat disease as such. In the case of the cancer studies however, drug X has a curative objective.

How can I test drug X's effect on only survival within this cohort?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes

Register to reply