How can I effectively take notes from math textbooks?

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, the individual is trying to continue improving their mathematical skills while enlisted in the US Air Force. They have purchased new textbooks but are unsure of how to take notes from them, as they usually rely on lecture notes from professors. They ask for tips on taking notes from math textbooks and suggest highlighting important definitions and theorems, writing down solutions to questions without solutions in the back, and using a skimming and example-based approach to note-taking. They also mention the benefits of note-taking for focus and summarization.
Cod
I recently enlisted in the US Air Force so I am not attending school this semester; however, I'm still trying to continue strengthening my mathematical skills as well as adventure into new parts of mathematics. I've recently purchased a few new textbooks on an assortment of math subjects and I have run into a problem. That problem is simple. I do not know a good way to take notes from a textbook. Usually, I just take lecture notes from my professors since they basically serve you the important points on a platter. So how do I know which points I should write down and which I should not? Is there an easy method to note-taking from math textbooks?

Any help, information, or tips are greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Cod said:
I recently enlisted in the US Air Force so I am not attending school this semester; however, I'm still trying to continue strengthening my mathematical skills as well as adventure into new parts of mathematics. I've recently purchased a few new textbooks on an assortment of math subjects and I have run into a problem. That problem is simple. I do not know a good way to take notes from a textbook. Usually, I just take lecture notes from my professors since they basically serve you the important points on a platter. So how do I know which points I should write down and which I should not? Is there an easy method to note-taking from math textbooks?

Any help, information, or tips are greatly appreciated.

I don't write notes if I'm doing independent studying. I just highlight certain things like important definitions, and theorems. I won't highlight obvious statements.

I'd go with highlighting.

If you choose not to, just write down important definitions and theorems (as well as the page number). I would also write down the solutions to the questions who don't have solutions in the back of the text (I always do this).

i don't like vandalizing my books with a highlighter so i write down the important stuff, like theorems that have names.

How I do it is I simply skim through the first few pages, until the first example. Then take note of how the example is done, at least have a rough idea, then go back again to the first part of the topic and you'l sieve out the useful stuff much easier. When you're confident that you know the process, then go do the example without looking at the solutions first, then when you're done check it.

But i think note taking when learning from a textbook is good. I do take down notes myself when learning from textbooks but hardly refer to them after that. The note taking is meant to help me get into focus and summarize whatever I need to know.

What is the purpose of taking notes from textbooks?

Taking notes from textbooks helps to organize and summarize the information presented in the text, making it easier to understand and remember. It also allows individuals to refer back to the notes for review or clarification.

What is the best way to take notes from a textbook?

The best way to take notes from a textbook is to first skim the text to get an overall understanding, then read it more closely to identify key points and important information. It is also helpful to use a note-taking method, such as outlining or Cornell notes, to structure and organize the information.

Should I write my notes by hand or type them?

Studies have shown that writing notes by hand can improve retention and understanding of the material, as it requires more cognitive processing. However, typing notes may be more efficient for some individuals. Ultimately, it depends on personal preference and what works best for the individual.

How can I make my notes more effective?

To make notes more effective, it is important to use a method that works for the individual, such as summarizing, paraphrasing, or using visual aids. It is also helpful to use headings and bullet points to organize information, and to review and revise notes regularly.

Is it necessary to take notes from every chapter of a textbook?

The decision to take notes from every chapter of a textbook depends on the individual and the purpose of the notes. If the goal is to have a comprehensive understanding of the material, then it may be beneficial to take notes from every chapter. However, if the goal is to focus on specific topics or information, then it may be more efficient to only take notes from relevant chapters.