Why superconductors repel magnets no matter what polarity

In summary, superconductors repel magnets regardless of polarity. This is due to the changing magnetic flux that induces an emf inside the superconductor. The emf causes a charged object to go in a circular path, and this creates a magnetic field that is always in an opposing direction to the original field.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Hey everyone, got a quickie for u. I'm not sure if there is a proper answer for this question, but could ppl give me brief theories to why superconductors repel magnets no matter what polarity they are. thanks for any input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going for brevity here. This usually takes a full class for my AP students who have already learned about electromagnetic induction. Here goes...

When a magnetic field approaches a superconductor (SC), the SC experiences a changing magnetic flux (that is, the magnetic field in a certain spot will be increasing).

A changing magnetic flux induces an emf (voltage)inside the SC that causes a charged object (an electron) to go in a circular path.

The charge that goes in a circle creates another magnetic field, and this field is always in an opposing direction to the field that created it (it repels the original magnetic field).

Since the SC has no resistance, the spinning charges do not slow down. THey keep going in circles, and therefore continue to create the magnetic field that opposes the original magnet.

Whenever the magnet changes orientation, the magnetic flux in the SC changes, and the orientation of the circles of electrons will change accordingly.

Howzat?
IF it doesn't make sense, its because I made it too simplified.

ok. i think i understand that, it makes sense enough for me anyway, what would be a more physics based answer to this then?? not too difficult, my brain hurts at difficult things lol

The above is the simple physics based answer. To PROVE this you got to use math.
For completness: It was postulated (can be derived as well) that in a SC the current density j is proportional to the vector potential A. So if you take the curl:

curl(j)=-1/([mu]0[lamb]L2)B (1)

this equation is called the London equation ([lamb] is the London penetration depth. Some magnetic field can penetrate the SC)
Now, from the Maxwell equations we know that

curl(B)=[mu]0j (2)

So, taking the curl on both sides of (2), then using (1) we find

[nab]2B=B/[lamb]L2 (3)

The field inside the SC has to conform to this equation. The Meissner effect now follows since (3) does not allow a uniform solution (that is B=B0). The only solution is :

B=B(0)exp(-x/[lamb]L) (4)

B(0) is the field at the edge of the SC.

Not really simple but this is the derivation of the above picture. So although it expels magnetic fields, there still is some field inside a SC

Last edited:
By the way, the above rests on some assumptions. These assumtions are not necessary in a quantum theory of superconductivity. All said above follows naturally from the quantum theory. The theory is called the BCS theory of superconductivity after its inventors Bardeen, Cooper and Schrieffer.

Amazing but true. You can only go so far in Physics without the math.

1. Why do superconductors repel magnets regardless of polarity?

Superconductors are materials that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature. This phenomenon is due to the perfect alignment of electron spin within the material. When a magnet is brought near a superconductor, the magnetic field produced by the magnet causes the electron spins in the superconductor to align in a way that creates an opposing magnetic field. This results in repulsion between the superconductor and the magnet, regardless of the magnet's polarity.

2. How do superconductors maintain their repulsion towards magnets?

Superconductors maintain their repulsion towards magnets because of the Meissner effect. When a superconductor is exposed to a magnetic field, the electrons within the material form pairs and move in a way that creates a current that produces an opposing magnetic field. This current continues to flow even after the external magnetic field is removed, allowing the superconductor to maintain its repulsion towards the magnet.

3. Are all superconductors capable of repelling magnets?

Not all superconductors are capable of repelling magnets. Only type II superconductors exhibit the Meissner effect and can repel magnets. Type I superconductors, on the other hand, do not exhibit this effect and will not repel magnets. This is because type II superconductors have a higher critical magnetic field, allowing them to maintain their superconducting state in the presence of a stronger magnetic field.

4. Is the repulsion between superconductors and magnets always the same strength?

No, the strength of the repulsion between superconductors and magnets can vary depending on factors such as the temperature of the superconductor and the strength of the external magnetic field. As the temperature of the superconductor increases, its ability to maintain the Meissner effect decreases, resulting in a weaker repulsion towards the magnet. Similarly, a stronger external magnetic field can also weaken the repulsion between the two.

5. Can superconductors be used to levitate objects?

Yes, the phenomenon of superconductors repelling magnets can be utilized to levitate objects. By placing a superconductor on top of a magnet, the repulsive force between the two can be strong enough to counteract the force of gravity and levitate the superconductor. This principle is used in technologies such as magnetic levitation trains and hoverboards.