Velocity of an Asteroid

by sklotz
Tags: asteroid, velocity
sklotz
Jul19-12, 12:09 PM
P: 7
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An asteroid of mass 2500 kg has a (relativistic) kinetic energy of 1e+20 J. What is the speed of the asteroid?

2. Relevant equations

KE=(mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)-mc^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried plugging in my values to this equation and got 216480727.3. the answer is in terms of c. Im not sure if im doing something wrong or if im in the wrong units because in all my problems where im given a velocity its always a small value times c such as .9c and I got a large number. There is another problem like this where im solving for the velocity I cant figure out either.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
Chestermiller
Jul19-12, 02:18 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,453
Quote Quote by sklotz View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An asteroid of mass 2500 kg has a (relativistic) kinetic energy of 1e+20 J. What is the speed of the asteroid?

2. Relevant equations

KE=(mc^2/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)-mc^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried plugging in my values to this equation and got 216480727.3. the answer is in terms of c. Im not sure if im doing something wrong or if im in the wrong units because in all my problems where im given a velocity its always a small value times c such as .9c and I got a large number. There is another problem like this where im solving for the velocity I cant figure out either.
Show us the mathematical steps you used to arrive at this result. This seems to be an algebra issue.

Register to reply