Register to reply

Very high value of negative camber angle

by hover guy
Tags: angle, camber, negative
Share this thread:
hover guy
Aug3-12, 01:57 PM
P: 9
I was wondering that what will happen to a car which has a negative camber angle of over 45 degrees, will it make impossible to even move or it is possible if we design special tires for the same..? i know it will be almost impossible to steer such a vehicle but i want to know what is the significance of the alignment of tire when it comes to tractive force and efficiency.Although grip is dependent on camber angle and so is the tractive force , still is there any possibility that a vehicle with almost 50-60 degrees of camber can move within a speed range of 0-50 mph with a sound efficiency?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
jack action
Aug4-12, 10:08 AM
P: 566
Yes, it can move. There's a whole design style about extreme camber, it is called oni kyan or demon camber.

Is it efficient? No. Purely styling. Normally, when you add camber, you want to add toe-out to compensate such that the tire do not steer when the car is driven in a straight line.
Ranger Mike
Aug5-12, 03:08 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,475
good one Jack,,,,I did not know this .....true proof you can teach an old dog new tricks...

HowlerMonkey
Aug6-12, 04:19 PM
P: 276
Very high value of negative camber angle

I would guess aspect ratio of the tire will determine the maximum camber that can be harnessed.
hover guy
Sep2-12, 10:39 PM
P: 9
Thank u everyone:-)

Register to reply