Showing that the Virial Theorem holds

by Ed Quanta
Tags: holds, showing, theorem, virial
Ed Quanta
Feb9-05, 02:22 PM
P: 297
So I have already calculated correctly that the expectation of the interaction potential for hydrogenic atoms is

<nlm|V(r)|nlm>=-(uZ^2e^4)/((hbar^2)*n^2)

Note that u= mass,and V(r)=-Ze^2/r

I now have to calculate <nlm|T|nlm> where T is the kinetic energy operator, and

T=p^2/(2u) + L^2/(2ur^2)

Note that p is the radial momentum operator and L is the angular momentum operator

I know hbar^2l(l+1)=L^2 and I know (pretty sure) that <1/r^2>=e^2/(2n^3hbar^2).

However, I am unsure how to find the expectation value of the p^2/(2u) term, and don't see how <T> is going to equal <V> which the book hints at being true since <T> and <V> are said to satisfy the Virial Theorem.

Help anyone?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Tom Mattson
Feb9-05, 02:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,540
Quote Quote by Ed Quanta
However, I am unsure how to find the expectation value of the p^2/(2u) term,
You can do it by brute force (that's what I call working in function space). Insert the differential operator for p into the expression for T, sandwich it between &psi;n'l'm'* and &psi;nlm, and integrate.
dextercioby
Feb9-05, 02:41 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
There's a piece of genius on my behalf:

[tex] \hat{H}=\hat{T}+\hat{V} [/tex] (1)

[tex] \langle nlm|\hat{H}|nlm\rangle = E_{n} =-\frac{Z^{2}\mu e^{4}}{2\hbar^{2}(4\pi\epsilon_{0})} \frac{1}{n^{2}} [/tex] (2)

[tex] \langle nlm|\hat{V}|nlm\rangle =-\frac{Ze^{2}}{(4\pi\epsilon_{0})}\langle \frac{1}{r}\rangle _{|nlm\rangle} [/tex] (3)

Compute (3) using the average of 1/r.

Then:

[tex] \langle nlm|\hat{T}|nlm\rangle =\langle nlm|\hat{H}-\hat{V}|nlm\rangle=E_{n}+\frac{Ze^{2}}{(4\pi\epsilon_{0})}\langle \frac{1}{r}\rangle _{|nlm\rangle} [/tex] (4)

Tell where u get stuck.

Daniel.

Ed Quanta
Feb9-05, 02:49 PM
P: 297

Showing that the Virial Theorem holds

My book seems to leave out the 4pi*epsilon term in the denominator for some reason. But yeah thanks, I am cool now. I was missing the expectation value for the Hamiltonian. Thanks for your genius my man.
kanato
Feb9-05, 11:52 PM
P: 416
Quote Quote by Ed Quanta
My book seems to leave out the 4pi*epsilon term in the denominator for some reason. But yeah thanks, I am cool now. I was missing the expectation value for the Hamiltonian. Thanks for your genius my man.
It must use the cgs unit system.. in cgs a factor of [tex] ( 4 \pi \epsilon_0 )^{\frac{1}2} [/tex] is "absorbed" into the unit of charge, so that Coulomb's law can be written as [tex] \vec{F} = \frac{e^2}{r^2}\hat{r} [/tex]

Register to reply