Register to reply

Heat transfer with a plate heat exchanger.

by uneducatedphd
Tags: exchanger, heat, plate, transfer
Share this thread:
uneducatedphd
Sep3-12, 02:17 PM
P: 2
First off, I can't believe I never decided to search for a forum like this, I love smart people! lol.

Anyways I am working on a Liquid cooling project for a highly overclocked computer system. Originally I wasn't going to use a heat exchanger(Matter of fact, until I stumbled across one on a website, I didn't even know they made them for PC applications). So I made a crude diagram to better explain. I am planning on running one side with mineral oil or synthetic motor oil and the other with water/PC coolant. My question is would I use to oils in the initial heat area (south) or in the secondary (north) side? My first plan was to use Isopropyl Alcohol and water/coolant, but with evaporation and not wanting to seal the system I scrapped that idea. Also would I want the heat exchanger before or after the radiator? Where would it be most effective at removing heat? Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated thank you.

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Vadar2012
Sep3-12, 05:15 PM
P: 208
I find myself asking is that really necessary. Damm cool though. Have you done any calcs to see what the required heat transfer is to cool it to the required temperature? Do you know what the maximum temperature it will heat upto? That'll help with determining the fluids required. Good old thermo tables.
uneducatedphd
Sep3-12, 05:41 PM
P: 2
At the moment it's all theoretical, necessary? Maybe. When setting records, even the littlest bit helps. Not saying that I'm going for records, but I am doing something that as far as I can tell has never been done. Though it looks like there will be some redundant cooling going on, won't know until I try. "Trial and Error" way of the scientist right? Though this is just a rough diagram, it doesn't show the whole project. All of this and more will be in a cabinet directly cooled with a 6,000 btu air conditioner, a few copper coils for extra cooling, though its not known for its insulating properties the cabinet is going to be made of Acrylic. Only thing that will be in the PC case will be the water blocks and hoses. I want the unit to be stand alone as possible. Should look pretty cool when all said and done.

Lsos
Sep6-12, 02:24 AM
P: 777
Heat transfer with a plate heat exchanger.

Can I ask the purpose of the two separate ciruits? Why not just make it one circuit?
Mech_Engineer
Sep6-12, 08:51 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,248
I would think you'd be better off with a water chiller (thermoelectric cooler) for the liquid and/or a TEC on the CPU itself. Why are you doubling up on the liquid cooling circuits? If you're worried about the cooling capacity of your "south" radiator, you should get a bigger one, and put big fans on it.

Register to reply