Kayaker paddling across a harbor

by magic-400
Tags: angle, degree, direction, triangle, vector
Share this thread:
magic-400
Sep14-12, 03:39 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A kayaker needs to paddle north across a 105 m wide harbor. The tide is going out, creating a tidal current that flows to the east at 1.5 m/s. The kayaker can paddle with a speed of 3.4 m/s.

(a) In which direction should he paddle in order to travel straight across the harbor? (degrees west of north)

(b) How long will it take him to cross? (seconds)

2. Relevant equations

c^2= a^2 + b^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I divided 105m by 3.4 m/s to determine how long it would take to go straight across the harbor. Then I multiplied that number (30.88) by 1.5 m/s to get the distance he would have ended up downstream. 46.32m.

Then, I attempted to set up a right triangle and solve for the angle but that's where I got confused.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
PeterO
Sep14-12, 07:29 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,318
Quote Quote by magic-400 View Post

A kayaker needs to paddle north across a 105 m wide harbor. The tide is going out, creating a tidal current that flows to the east at 1.5 m/s. The kayaker can paddle with a speed of 3.4 m/s.

(a) In which direction should he paddle in order to travel straight across the harbor? (degrees west of north)

2. Relevant equations

c^2= a^2 + b^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I divided 105m by 3.4 m/s to determine how long it would take to go straight across the harbor. Then I multiplied that number (30.88) by 1.5 m/s to get the distance he would have ended up downstream. 46.32m.

Then, I attempted to set up a right triangle and solve for the angle but that's where I got confused.
The kayaker will take longer than [30.88] that to cross the harbour, since he/she is not paddling directly towards the opposite side.
azizlwl
Sep14-12, 07:55 PM
P: 963

-----------------------------------------------------
Yes you can use a right triangle to solve the problem.
This is a vector problem and using a right triangle geometry is one of the methods.

Kayaker speed with direction is one vector.
The tide speed and direction is another vector.
You can do operations on this 2 vectors and in this example adding the two vectors.

The sum of the two vectors will result in the kayaker paddling straight across the habour.

CWatters
Sep15-12, 04:20 AM
P: 3,268
Kayaker paddling across a harbor

What azizlwl said.

If still stuck post your attempt at the vector diagram.

Register to reply