by CAF123
Tags: formulae, frenetserret, proof
Share this thread:
CAF123
Sep22-12, 08:23 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,307
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Consider the unit tangent vector [itex] T[/itex] unit normal vector [itex] N [/itex] and binormal vector [itex] B [/itex] parametrized in terms of arc length s.
1) Show that [tex] \frac{dT}{ds} = \kappa\,N[/tex]

I think this part is fine for me. What I did was: [tex]N(t) = \frac{T'(t)}{|T'(t)|}[/tex] and said, by the chain rule, [itex] \frac{dT}{ds} \frac{ds}{dt}= T'(t) [/itex] which simplified to [tex] N(s) = \frac{|r'(t)|}{|T'(t)|} \frac{dT}{ds} => \frac{dT}{ds} = \kappa N(s) [/tex]
Can somebody confirm this is correct?

2) Use a) to show that there exists a scalar [itex] -\tau [/itex] such that [tex] \frac{dB}{ds} = -\tau\,N [/tex]

I was given a hint to try to show that [itex] \frac{dB}{ds} . B = 0 [/itex]
I took the derivative [tex]\frac{d}{ds} B = \frac{d}{ds}(T N) = T \frac{dN}{ds}[/tex]
Therefore, [tex] (T \frac{dN}{ds}) . B = (B T) . \frac{dN}{ds} = N . \frac{dN}{ds}. [/tex] Am I correct in assuming the above is equal to 0?

Many thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
micromass
Sep22-12, 10:08 AM
Mentor
P: 18,293
Quote Quote by CAF123 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Consider the unit tangent vector [itex] T[/itex] unit normal vector [itex] N [/itex] and binormal vector [itex] B [/itex] parametrized in terms of arc length s.
1) Show that [tex] \frac{dT}{ds} = \kappa\,N[/tex]

I think this part is fine for me. What I did was: [tex]N(t) = \frac{T'(t)}{|T'(t)|}[/tex] and said, by the chain rule, [itex] \frac{dT}{ds} \frac{ds}{dt}= T'(t) [/itex] which simplified to [tex] N(s) = \frac{|r'(t)|}{|T'(t)|} \frac{dT}{ds} => \frac{dT}{ds} = \kappa N(s) [/tex]
Can somebody confirm this is correct?
It's weird that you need to use the chain rule. But first, what is the definition of [itex]\kappa[/itex]??

2) Use a) to show that there exists a scalar [itex] -\tau [/itex] such that [tex] \frac{dB}{ds} = -\tau\,N [/tex]

I was given a hint to try to show that [itex] \frac{dB}{ds} . B = 0 [/itex]
I took the derivative [tex]\frac{d}{ds} B = \frac{d}{ds}(T N) = T \frac{dN}{ds}[/tex]
Therefore, [tex] (T \frac{dN}{ds}) . B = (B T) . \frac{dN}{ds} = N . \frac{dN}{ds}. [/tex] Am I correct in assuming the above is equal to 0?
Yes, it is true that [itex]N\cdot \frac{dN}{ds}=0[/itex], but it needs to be proven. To prove this, consider the function [itex]N\cdot N[/itex] and take derivatives.
CAF123
Sep22-12, 12:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,307
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
It's weird that you need to use the chain rule. But first, what is the definition of [itex]\kappa[/itex]??
[itex] \kappa [/itex] is the rate of change of the tangent vector of a curve with respect to arc length, ie a measure of how much the tangent vector changes in magnitude and direction as a point moves along a curve. Why is it weird using chain rule - did you have another method in mind - is mine ok?

Yes, it is true that [itex]N\cdot \frac{dN}{ds}=0[/itex], but it needs to be proven. To prove this, consider the function [itex]N\cdot N[/itex] and take derivatives.
Thanks, so an argument could go;[tex] \frac{d}{ds} (N\cdot N) = 2(N\cdot \frac{dN}{ds}).[/tex] We know the dot product is a scalar quantity, so the left hand side is zero (derivative of a constant) and so the right hand side is only true provided this term in brackets is zero.

Register to reply