So lost on exact trig ratio questions Please help

In summary, nukeman was struggling with a homework problem that involved finding trig ratios of 5∏/6. He tried to think in degrees, and remembered that 2\pi is a full circle and 360 degrees is fra\pi/6. He then remembered that sin(\pi/6)= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} and cos(\pi/6)= \frac{1}{2} and solved the problem.
nukeman

Homework Statement

I am reviewing some trig, and I forgot how to do this. Please let me figure this one simple thing out.

Here is the questions.

Find the exact trig ratios of 5∏/6

Ok, now look at my diagram below to see where I am having trouble with!

28aq79k.jpg

What simple process am I missing?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The hypotenuse is 1, isn't it? Or at least you can assume it is, everything else being similar. The triangle you've drawn is one half of an equilateral triangle. All sides length 1, all angles pi/3. Think about it.

Last edited:
Dick said:
The hypotenuse is 1, isn't it? Or at least you can assume it is, everything else being similar. The triangle you've drawn is one half of an equilateral triangle. All sides length 1, all angles pi/3. Think about it.

That's a refreshing way to look at the problem, but I don't think it's going to help nukeman solve other problems.

If you have a triangle with angle [itex]\theta[/itex] and hypotenuse length 1, then what is [itex]\cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\sin(\theta)[/itex]?

You were probably expected to memorize these values- that's why you are lost. But it is not possible to calculate the values.

It might help to think in degrees rather than radians- many people recall geometry in terms of degrees rather than radians. [itex]2\pi[/itex] is a full circle as is 360 degrees: fra[itex]\pi/6[/itex] is the same as
[tex]\frac{\pi}{6}\frac{360}{2\pi}= \frac{360}{12}= 30[/tex].

Now look at an equilateral triangle. In any triangle, the angles add to 180 degrees ([itex]\pi[/itex] radians) and in an equilateral triangle all three angles are equal so each is 180/3= 60 degrees ([itex]\pi/3[/itex] radians). Now draw a perpendicular from one vertex to the opposite side. That also divides both the angle and the side into equal parts into equal parts, forming a right triangle with angles of [itex]\pi/3[/itex] and [itex]\pi/6[/itex]. If we take the sides of the original equilateral triangle to be 2, that is the hypotenuse of a right triangle and the leg opposite the [itex]\pi/6[/itex] angle is 1. By the Pythagorean theorem, the the other leg has length [itex]\sqrt{2^2- 1^2}= \sqrt{3}[/itex]. Then
[tex]sin(\pi/6)= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]cos(\pi/6)= \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
etc.

1. What are exact trigonometric ratios?

Exact trigonometric ratios are ratios of the side lengths of a right triangle that are represented by simplified fractions. They are commonly used in trigonometry to solve for unknown angles or side lengths.

2. How do I find exact trigonometric ratios?

Exact trigonometric ratios can be found by using the side lengths of a right triangle and applying the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. For example, to find the sine of an angle, divide the length of the side opposite the angle by the length of the hypotenuse.

3. What is the difference between exact and non-exact trigonometric ratios?

Exact trigonometric ratios are represented by simplified fractions, whereas non-exact trigonometric ratios are represented by decimal approximations. Exact ratios are considered more accurate and precise.

4. How can I use exact trigonometric ratios to solve problems?

Exact trigonometric ratios can be used to solve problems involving right triangles, such as finding missing side lengths or angles. They can also be used to model real-world situations, such as determining the height of a tree or building.

5. What are some common examples of exact trigonometric ratios?

Some common exact trigonometric ratios include 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 2/3, and 3/5. These ratios can be found by using special right triangles, such as 45-45-90 and 30-60-90 triangles, or by using the Pythagorean theorem to simplify ratios involving square roots.