Oct1-12, 11:44 AM
P: 459
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
f'(u) = 1 / (1 + u^3)
g(x) = f(x^2)
Find g'(x) and g'(2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
So the derivative of function f at u is: 1 / (1 + u^3)
That means g'(x) would be f'(x^2), but to find the general derivative of f at u is 1 / (1 + u^3) so can I just plug in x^2 for u so I get: 1 / (1 + x^6) ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
jbunniii
Oct1-12, 12:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,913
Your subject has nothing to do with this problem. There are no antiderivatives here. You need to use the chain rule to compute g'(x). It is NOT true that g'(x) = f'(x^2).
PhizKid
Oct1-12, 12:51 PM
Don't you need to find f(u) which would be going backwards from 1 / (1 + u^3), which is an antiderivative?

And why is g'(x) != f'(x^2)? I just took the derivative of both functions on each side with respect to x

jbunniii
Oct1-12, 01:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold

Finding antiderivative without integration

Quote Quote by PhizKid View Post
Don't you need to find f(u) which would be going backwards from 1 / (1 + u^3), which is an antiderivative?

And why is g'(x) != f'(x^2)? I just took the derivative of both functions on each side with respect to x
No, you don't need to find f(u). Regarding why g'(x) != f'(x^2), please apply the chain rule to differentiate both sides of g(x) = f(x^2).
PhizKid
Oct1-12, 02:04 PM
We learned the Chain Rule but not sure how to apply it here. My best guess would be:

g'(x) = f'(x) * 2x
Mark44
Oct1-12, 02:10 PM
Mentor
P: 21,026
We learned the Chain Rule but not sure how to apply it here. My best guess would be:

g'(x) = f'(x) * 2x
Since g(x) = f(x2), then g'(x) = f'(x2) * 2x
PhizKid
Oct1-12, 03:56 PM
Sorry, that's what I meant. I write it down on paper but I'm not very good at typing

So for g'(x) I have f'(x^2) * 2x
Do I have to somehow use f'(u) = 1 / (1 + u^3) in order to find the values for 'x' for f'(x^2) * 2x ? Do I need to use the Chain Rule again? If so, how would I apply it in this situation?
jbunniii
Oct1-12, 03:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
Sorry, that's what I meant. I write it down on paper but I'm not very good at typing

So for g'(x) I have f'(x^2) * 2x
Do I have to somehow use f'(u) = 1 / (1 + u^3) in order to find the values for 'x' for f'(x^2) * 2x ? Do I need to use the Chain Rule again? If so, how would I apply it in this situation?
You don't need to use the chain rule again. If f'(u) = 1/(1 + u^3) then what is f'(x^2)? Just substitute u = x^2. You are simply evaluating the function defined by f'(u) = 1/(1 + u^3) at the particular value u = x^2.
PhizKid
Oct1-12, 07:52 PM
How do you know that u = x^2 ?
jbunniii
Oct1-12, 08:07 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
How do you know that u = x^2 ?
What does f'(x^2) mean? It means "evaluate the function f' at x^2." We have a formula for f'(u), i.e. a formula to "evaluate the function f' at u." If I want to evaluate f'(5), then I replace u with 5. If I want to evaluate f'(x^2), then I replace u with x^2.

Register to reply