Spacetime Crystal: Theory & Possibility

In summary, Spacetime Crystal is a theoretical concept that suggests the existence of a new form of matter that repeats itself in both space and time. This would mean that the crystal would have a periodic structure not only in space, like a traditional crystal, but also in time. This idea has been proposed by theoretical physicists who believe that such a crystal could potentially explain the mysteries of time and quantum mechanics. While there is no concrete evidence of its existence, recent experiments have shown promising results that support the possibility of a spacetime crystal. Further research and exploration of this concept could lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.
Light Bearer
So, I read an article yesterday about a potential design for a spacetime crystal. The idea behind a spacetime crystal/4-dimensional crystal is pretty interesting and I'm curious to know what others think about them/this.

http://news.discovery.com/space/space-time-crystal-could-be-a-reality-121001.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_crystal

I think I understand how a spacetime crystal is theoretically possible and could survive the heat death of the universe..but as the discovery.com article said, you would need to design a lab capable of sustaining the crystal that could also outlast the universe lol. It's an interesting idea...thoughts?

(sorry if this is the incorrect forum for this thread)

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's crazy!

Light Bearer said:
So, I read an article yesterday about a potential design for a spacetime crystal. The idea behind a spacetime crystal/4-dimensional crystal is pretty interesting and I'm curious to know what others think about them/this.

http://news.discovery.com/space/space-time-crystal-could-be-a-reality-121001.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_crystal

I think I understand how a spacetime crystal is theoretically possible and could survive the heat death of the universe..but as the discovery.com article said, you would need to design a lab capable of sustaining the crystal that could also outlast the universe lol. It's an interesting idea...thoughts?

(sorry if this is the incorrect forum for this thread)

Looks somewhat similar to the toroidal EM vortices found in the cores of neutron stars. And yes, those vortices might last eternally. No laboratory needed.

I see it as a purely theoretical exercise, impossible to realize. A crystal with all of its ions in their lower energy state ? Eternally ? Surviving the heat death of the Universe ? What else ? Surviving also the next Big Bang?

1. What is a spacetime crystal?

A spacetime crystal is a hypothetical structure in which the regularity of space and time is repeated in the same way that the atoms in a crystal are arranged in a repeating pattern. This means that the structure of spacetime would be both uniform and repetitive, similar to the structure of a crystal.

2. How is a spacetime crystal different from a regular crystal?

A regular crystal has a repeating pattern in physical space, while a spacetime crystal has a repeating pattern in both space and time. This means that a spacetime crystal would have a regular and predictable structure in both space and time, while a regular crystal only has a predictable structure in physical space.

3. What is the current status of the theory of spacetime crystals?

The theory of spacetime crystals is still in its early stages and is considered a controversial topic in the scientific community. While some research has been done on the concept, no concrete evidence or experimental results have been found to support its existence.

4. What are the potential applications of spacetime crystals?

If spacetime crystals were to exist, they could have applications in various fields such as quantum computing, telecommunications, and precision measurement. The precise and regular structure of spacetime crystals could potentially be harnessed for advanced technologies.

5. How can we detect or prove the existence of spacetime crystals?

The detection or proof of spacetime crystals is a complex and ongoing challenge for scientists. Some proposed methods include using ultra-cold atoms or quantum systems to observe signatures of periodicity in spacetime. However, further research and advancements in technology are needed to confirm the existence of spacetime crystals.