Register to reply

How do you use the angle of uniform slip to calculate coefficient of static friction

by tratata
Tags: angle, coefficient, friction, slip, static, uniform
Share this thread:
tratata
Oct10-12, 02:55 AM
P: 10
How do you use the angle of uniform slip to calculate the coefficient of static friction?
Is there an equation for this? I cannot find it in the module on friction provided with the course.... thanks!

I found somewhere that tanθ=μk, but that doesn't really help me, as i am looking for μs! thanks :)

PS sorry if this is a really stupid question by the way...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
tiny-tim
Oct10-12, 03:22 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
hi tratata! welcome to pf!

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box )
Quote Quote by tratata View Post
How do you use the angle of uniform slip to calculate the coefficient of static friction?

I found somewhere that tanθ=μk, but that doesn't really help me, as i am looking for μs!
it's tanθ = μs (different θ, of course!), and for the same reason
i suppose you can prove why?
tratata
Oct11-12, 01:35 AM
P: 10
Thank you so very much tiny-tim! I really appreciate your help with this! It makes sense now when you pointed out the difference in angle!

Register to reply