Magnitude of electric field at a point

by Peewee
Tags: electric, field, magnitude, point
Share this thread:
Peewee
Oct10-12, 10:02 AM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A force of 5.7 N. is exerted on a 8.8 microCoulomb charge in a downward direction. What is the magnitude of the electric field (in N./C.) at this point?

2. Relevant equations

E = (kel * abs(q)) / r^2\
E = Fel / q

3. The attempt at a solution

8.8 microcoulombs --> 8.8e-6 Coulombs

At first I tried using:
E = (8.99x9)(8.8e-6) / r^2

But I didn't understand how I was supposed to find the radius. If it were a square, rectangle, triangle etc. and given some more information I could use trigonometry to determine the radius. The equation is for a point charge, though.

I then used E = Fel / q and simply plugged and chugged to get the right answer.

My question, though, is when do I use the E = Fel / q and when do I use the E = kq/r^2 equation?

Is the point charge for when two points are being compared to each other and the E = Fel/q is for one item?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Doc Al
Oct10-12, 11:48 AM
Mentor
P: 41,475
Quote Quote by Peewee View Post
My question, though, is when do I use the E = Fel / q and when do I use the E = kq/r^2 equation?
The first equation (Fel = Eq) is true in general--it relates the field to the force produced by that field on a particular charge. The second equation is for finding the field due to a point charge. (Which wasn't relevant here, as you were not given any information about the source of the field, only the force it produced on a given charge.)

Register to reply