Dont know what to do, not having fun with my current path

by Protools
Tags: current, path
Share this thread:
Protools
Oct16-12, 05:48 PM
P: 7
Hi, i know i've posted similar threads before but here it goes:

im a second year university student studying biochemistry. Now in theory its ok, and some of the courses are fun but i have no passion for studying biochemistry. i thought organic chemistry would cheer me up but its pretty dull as well (not as bad as inorganic). the only course i look forward to is spectroscopy, which is a physical chemistry class.

Now i want to make the switch into physics but the only things that are holding me back are:
1. i initially had the intent to attend medical school. i dont know if it will be better once (if) i get in. i can still apply with a physics degree, but i doubt my average vs me applying with a biochemistry degree.
2. in first year, i did bad in physics and math. granted i did pretty bad in all my courses but im still not sure if it was because i didnt do the work, or maybe if it was in fact challenging. and i know first year physics/math is a joke compared to upper level courses
3. if i dont get into medical school, a biochem degree is easier to work with in terms of employability (biotech firms are booming, lots of money in it). i highly doubt i can do much with a bachelors in physics

my plan was to initially take a couple of physics courses in my summer off to see how i like it but if i do end up doing badly, it messes up my gpa for medical school, so i dont know what to do!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
chill_factor
Oct16-12, 06:10 PM
P: 887
All my BS biochem friends are working retail or in med school. The entry level degree for biotech is at least a MS, often PhD, and they don't hire biochemists as much as straight chemists and chemical engineers.

Register to reply