Register to reply

Understanding Creep and Creep Rate

by jaredogden
Tags: creep, rate
Share this thread:
jaredogden
Oct25-12, 09:04 PM
P: 79
So I'm looking through some material on creep for one of my courses. There is a graph of strain ε vs Time, t. Consisting of Primary creep, steady-state creep, and tertiary creep. I pretty much can follow that and understand why the graph looks the way it does.

However there is another graph under it that is ln(dεss/dt) vs ln(σ). I am trying to understand what the significance is of taking the natural log of stress and the steady state creep rate. What would a graph containing these things be telling us, and why the natural log?

Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
Astronuc
Oct25-12, 10:55 PM
Admin
P: 21,887
In the elastic range, σ = Eε, where E is the elastic (Young's) modulus, i.e., it's linear as in 'linear elastic'. In most systems, the service domain is in the elastic range.

Secondary or steady-state creep involves inelastic or plastic deformation in which,

σ = Kεn, or ln σ = ln K + n ln ε.

and there is also cases where,

σ = K εn [itex]\dot{\epsilon}^m[/itex].

In the case of ln(dεss/dt) vs ln(σ), this implies a strain rate effect, i.e., strain hardening or strain rate (hardening) effect, e.g., σ = K [itex]\dot{\epsilon}^m[/itex].

Register to reply