Does linearly polarized light become randomly polarized after diffuse reflection?

by Ryker
Tags: diffuse, light, linearly, polarized, randomly, reflection
Ryker
Nov4-12, 04:04 PM
P: 1,089
I was wondering what happens with linearly polarized light when it is reflected from a surface such as paper? Since it undergoes diffuse reflection, it is scattered in all directions, but does it become randomly polarized, as well? I can't really find an answer to that anywhere, so I'd be grateful for any responses.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
0xDEADBEEF
Nov5-12, 11:00 AM
P: 824
No, it keeps most of its polarization otherwise 3d cinema wouldn't work. But it is different when the photons get absorbed by a die for example, or when there is dichroism, optical rotation or multiple reflection.
Andy Resnick
Nov5-12, 07:42 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,468
It's true some 3-D cinema uses polarization effects- but those also require use of a metallic 'scrim', which is why the polarization states are maintained. Scattering off a rough dielectric will randomize the polarization.

Rough surface scattering is the subject of countless books and ongoing research- Ogilvy's book is a good place to start, if you can find a copy.

Ryker
Nov5-12, 08:50 PM
P: 1,089

Does linearly polarized light become randomly polarized after diffuse reflection?

Thanks for the replies.
Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
It's true some 3-D cinema uses polarization effects- but those also require use of a metallic 'scrim', which is why the polarization states are maintained. Scattering off a rough dielectric will randomize the polarization.
Yeah, this is what I heard today, as well. That diffuse reflection does randomize the polarization, but that if you have some metal coating, the polarization can be preserved. I was told that's why, like you said, 3D cinema can't just use any projection screen, but one with a metallic layer on top of it. So I guess paper randomizes polarization, while a mirror would preserve it, even if reflection was diffuse.

Register to reply