Register to reply

Rms voltage

by lavster
Tags: voltage
Share this thread:
lavster
Nov7-12, 03:47 AM
P: 214
If I have a wave that looks pretty much sinusoidal but the peak positive amplitide is greater than the peak negative applitude how do I calcualte the rms vlaue - is it still the peak positive amplitude divided by root 2?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
nicklasaau
Nov7-12, 03:53 AM
P: 6
I would take an average of the amplitudes. but how large is the difference? If you take an average it would be equal to move the refrence point to where the amplitudes is equal for both the negative and the positive. and then it is a perfect sinusoid.
Philip Wood
Nov7-12, 07:28 AM
PF Gold
P: 938
Interesting question!

Unless I've miscalculated, the rms voltage is given by [itex]\sqrt{V_1^2 + \frac{V_0^2}{2}}[/itex] in which V1 is the constant offset voltage and V0 is the amplitude of the sinusoidal voltage.

Calculations can be revealed if requested!

Register to reply