Potential energy and a skateboard, only have until 11:30

In summary, the conversation is about a skateboarder starting with a speed of 1.95 m/s and doing +80.0 J of work on himself by pushing with his feet against the ground. Friction also does -265 J of work on him. The final speed of the skateboarder is 6.10 m/s. The discussion also includes calculating the change in gravitational potential energy and the vertical height of the skater. Using the equations for conservation of energy, the speaker arrives at a change in potential energy of -1095.35 J and a change in vertical height of -2.051 m. They also mention finding the work performed on the subject and using it to solve for the change in potential energy and vertical height
kpangrace
Potential energy and a skateboard, only have until 11:30!

A 54.5 kg. skateboarder starts out with a speed of 1.95 m/s. He does +80.0 J of work on himself by pushing with his feet against the ground. In addition, friction does -265 J of work on him. In both cases, the forces doing the work are nonconservative. The final speed of the skateboarder is 6.10 m/s

Calculate the change (PE = PEf - PE0) in the gravitational potential energy

(b) How much has the vertical height of the skater changed?

ok so potential energy is PE=MGH buti don't see a vertical height here!

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
right...
You can define the height to be zero anwhere you like. I would suggest letting the height that he starts at be zero.

Set up your Conservation of Energy equations (ME_i = ME_f, where ME = KE +PE) using variables for any unknowns.

A 54.5 kg. skateboarder starts out with a speed of 1.95 m/s. He does +80.0 J of work on himself by pushing with his feet against the ground. In addition, friction does -265 J of work on him. In both cases, the forces doing the work are nonconservative. The final speed of the skateboarder is 6.10 m/s

(a) Calculate the change (PE = PEf - PE0) in the gravitational potential energy

(b) How much has the vertical height of the skater changed?
{Initial Total Energy} = (1/2)*m*v0^2 + PE0 = (1/2)*(54.5)*(1.95)^2 + PE0 =
= 103.62 + PE0
{Final Total Energy} = (1/2)*m*vf^2 + PEf = (1/2)*(54.5)*(6.10)^2 + PEf =
= 1013.97 + PEf
{Delta Total Energy} = {1013.97 + PEf} - {103.62 + PE0} =
= 910.35 + {Delta PE} =
= {Work Performed On Subject} = (80) + (-265) = (-185)
{Delta PE} = (-185) - (910.35)

A) {Delta PE} = (-1095.35 J)

m*g*{Delta H} = (-1095.35)
{Delta H} = (-1095.35)/{(54.5)*(9.8)}

B) {Delta H} = (-2.051 m)

~~

Last edited:
here's what i did. plug all the numbers into Wnc= (1/2mvf^2-1/2mv0^2)+(mghf-mgh0) and you get Wnc= a number + a number *(h0-hf)
then you go and find Wnc first since it already told you in the question= +80-265 and you get -185. so
-185=a number + a number *(h0-hf) and you can now find out what (h0-hf) equals to. which is close to 2. this is the answer to b (i got 2.15 because our variables are different on webassign)

answer to a. since you know what h0-hf is.
change in PE= mghf-mgh0
plug h0=hf+(your answer to B)
and you get
mghf-mghf-mg*(your answer to B)
mghf cancels out. -mg*(your answer to B) is the answer for A (negative number)

hope that helps...LOL

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the stored energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It has the potential to do work or be converted into other forms of energy.

How is potential energy related to a skateboard?

A skateboard has potential energy when it is at a height above the ground. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the skateboard is in motion.

What factors affect the potential energy of a skateboard?

The potential energy of a skateboard is affected by its mass, height, and the force of gravity acting on it. The higher the skateboard is and the more mass it has, the more potential energy it will possess.

How does potential energy change as a skateboard moves?

As a skateboard moves downhill, its potential energy decreases and its kinetic energy increases. This is because its height is decreasing, and the force of gravity is acting on it, causing it to accelerate.

Why is it important to consider potential energy when using a skateboard?

Potential energy is important when using a skateboard because it can affect the skateboard's speed and overall performance. Understanding potential energy can also help skateboarders make informed decisions about the height and slope of a ramp or hill before attempting a trick or maneuver.