Register to reply

What is the nature of a uniform electric field?

by MegaDeth
Tags: electric, field, nature, uniform
Share this thread:
MegaDeth
Nov9-12, 01:27 AM
P: 83
Also, if a particle is travelling through a uniform electric field, does anything change as it leaves the field if the electric field strength increases? If you're asked to find the magnitude, is it just the modulus of those values? What is a vector?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
NascentOxygen
Nov10-12, 05:00 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,357
Quote Quote by MegaDeth View Post
Also, if a particle is travelling through a uniform electric field, does anything change as it leaves the field if the electric field strength increases?
If the particle is beyond the field, then, by definition, it is beyond the influence of that field. As a particle* leaves the field it would generally experience a change in acceleration because when it is within the field a force acts on it due to that field, but when it is outside the field the force acting on it due to that field becomes zero.

* I'm assuming we are discussing a charged particle here
MegaDeth
Nov10-12, 05:06 AM
P: 83
Quote Quote by NascentOxygen View Post
If the particle is beyond the field, then, by definition, it is beyond the influence of that field. As a particle* leaves the field it would generally experience a change in acceleration because when it is within the field a force acts on it due to that field, but when it is outside the field the force acting on it due to that field becomes zero.

* I'm assuming we are discussing a charged particle here
Oh, I worded that wrong sorry. What would happen to the charged particles angular deflection if the electric field force was increased?

sophiecentaur
Nov10-12, 09:53 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,186
What is the nature of a uniform electric field?

Is this part of a homework question? It looks like the OP was pasted straight in. What is the background?
Abhinav R
Nov10-12, 10:36 AM
P: 15
An electric field that changes with time, such as due to the motion of charged particles in the field, influences the local magnetic field. That is, the electric and magnetic fields are not completely separate phenomena; what one observer perceives as an electric field, another observer in a different frame of reference perceives as a mixture of electric and magnetic fields. For this reason, one speaks of "electromagnetism" or "electromagnetic fields".
In this case I think when a charged particle travels out of an Electric field the electrostatic force comes into the picture which is F=qE.This force determines the velocity with which the charged particle may travel with.This force may be attractive or repulsive according to the charged particle.

I don't know which magnitude you are referring to here.You could please elaborate on that.

As for a vector,a vector is a geometric entity endowed with magnitude and direction.In physics, euclidean vectors are used to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force, in contrast to scalar quantities, which have no direction.

Register to reply