Are Qualia Real? Debate & Discussion

• Thread starter StatusX
  • Start date
In summary, the two people present are debating the existence of qualia. One side believes they are real, while the other side does not. They are also discussing the difference between logical thought and intuitive comprehension. In the end, the two sides are still arguing and no one has come to a conclusion.

Are qualia real?

• Total voters
hypnagogue said:
Not necessarily. If we find that B always accompanies C, it could be because there is some sort of causitive link between the two. However, it could also be that they are both caused by A. In that case, although they are always correlated, one does not cause the other.

That's why it is inconclusive evidence. It is, nonetheless, evidence. Seeing someone at the scene of a crime is evidence that he committed the crime. Scanty evidence, but still evidence.

Chalmers proposes that phenomenality is an aspect of information, and Rosenberg proposes that phenomenality is the intrinsic basis of the physical. In both cases, phenomenality does not arise from the physical, but (in some sense) sits along side it. Surely, both accept that the structure and function of the physical brain conditions the nature of a system's p-consciousness, but I don't think either view can be fairly portrayed as saying that consciousness arises from, or is a product of, the brain.

What you are saying doesn't make any sense to me. Phenomenality is an aspect of information. Information, in humans, is stored in and processed by the brain. The information that has phenomenality as an aspect is a product of the brain. In what sense can we say that the brain is not here a cause of consciousness. There is no case in which a brain can process the information that it does and not produce consciousness. Again, strictly speaking, information processing devices other than the brain may produce consciousness. In this case, a brain is not necessary. A brain is, however, necessary for human consciousness, at least until we are able to transfer our selves into information processing machines that can carry out the same functions as a brain.

In the case of Rosenberg's framework, again, is it not the intrinsic base of the physical makeup of the brain that results in human consciousness? If no brain is present, there is nothing that we recognize as consciousness. He is simply postulating properties of the substance of which the brain (indeed, all physical things) is made that are not physically detectable. They are nonetheless, properties of the substance of which the brain is made. We never experience what happens in the non-physical parts of our lymph nodes.

In fact, insofar as both accept the logical possibility of zombies, both would claim that we could have a physical brain (in a world distinct from ours in its non-physical aspects, but identical to ours in its physical aspects) but still not have p-consciousness.

I don't know about Rosenberg, but I remember Chalmers explicitly stating in a paper that you linked to that zombies are an empirical impossibility granted that they have the same brains we have. Logical possibility only means that no contradiction arises. By the same token, no contradiction arises if we imagine that the Earth had no gravitational field. Nonetheless, you are never going to find a person jump at a velocity less than escape velocity and fail to come back down.

So perhaps Chalmers and Rosenberg might say that the physical brain causes p-consciousness to take the particular form it does, but neither would say that the physical brain produces p-consciousness, in the sense that the latter supervenes on the former.

I'm only claiming that what the brain causes is human consciousness. It may not be necessary to all forms of subjective experience, but it is certainly necessary for my subjective experience. Without the brain, my ego, my personality, the world-line of subjective experience that is Adam Acosta, would cease to exist (again, unless Chalmers and Dennett are right and we devise a means of transferring the necessary information-stream into a machine).

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, Rosenberg's view of causation, and the manner in which he ties this into the mind/body problem, allows us to make a more definite claim here. On Rosenberg's view, the physical is nothing but the pattern of relationships in which the intrinsic phenomenal carriers engage. So Rosenberg's view on the mind/body relation would actually be much closer to an identity relation than one of causal responsibility. That is, on this view, the firings of certain neural assemblies do not produce or otherwise cause us to see a red patch of color; rather, those neuron firings literally are the effective patterns of relationships engaged upon by our intrinsic, phenomenal patch of red in the wider causal nexus.

Is there any kind of evidential backing for that being the case (other than explanatory elegance)? I'll have to get back into that book when I get a chance. I've been studying causation for several months now and should have a good basis from which to evaluate his claims.

loseyourname said:
I don't know about Rosenberg, but I remember Chalmers explicitly stating in a paper that you linked to that zombies are an empirical impossibility granted that they have the same brains we have. Logical possibility only means that no contradiction arises. By the same token, no contradiction arises if we imagine that the Earth had no gravitational field. Nonetheless, you are never going to find a person jump at a velocity less than escape velocity and fail to come back down.

Right, that's why I added this caveat: "in a world distinct from ours in its non-physical aspects, but identical to ours in its physical aspects." The point is not to argue that we could have a physical replica of me or you in our world, such that it would not be conscious (I don't think anyone really argues for that). The point is to try to demonstrate that the physical aspects of the brain could exist without any attendant p-consciousness; this only works if we suppose 1) there are non-physical aspects of our world that are necessary for the existence of p-consciousness, and 2) in a zombie world physically identical to our own, these non-physical aspects are different in such a way that p-consciousness does not exist.

I'm only claiming that what the brain causes is human consciousness. It may not be necessary to all forms of subjective experience, but it is certainly necessary for my subjective experience. Without the brain, my ego, my personality, the world-line of subjective experience that is Adam Acosta, would cease to exist (again, unless Chalmers and Dennett are right and we devise a means of transferring the necessary information-stream into a machine).

That's a claim for the necessity of the human brain for human consciousness, which I don't think many people argue against (I certainly don't). My point of contention has been the further claim that the physical human brain is a sufficient condition for the existence of human p-consciousness. Obviously, an anti-physicalist is committed to contesting that claim. There are also subtler issues, e.g. whether we should think of the mind/body relation as one of cause and effect or as one of identity. But on the whole, I don't think we disagree too substantially here. I suspect a lot of this discussion is just turning on different ways we interpret the word "cause."

loseyourname said:
Is there any kind of evidential backing for that being the case (other than explanatory elegance)?

Not that I'm aware of (but then, I'm not sure what kind of evidence could discriminate here between identity and cause/effect). However, I think just the sheer explanitory power over such a wide range of problems that Rosenberg's framework has is grounds for taking it seriously. He does propose a sketch of how we might empirically ascertain the existence of natural individuals in chapter 14, I believe, though I'm fuzzy on the details right now. But it does seem that for much of his framework, the only evidence we'll ever be able to get is circumstantial evidence from its ability to explain existing phenomena. Perhaps we might be able to generate novel predictions with it down the line that differentiate it empirically from other theories of consciousness, but that's an open issue, and even then it seems likely that we could only test it via first person verification (and ultimately, verbal report).

I'll have to get back into that book when I get a chance. I've been studying causation for several months now and should have a good basis from which to evaluate his claims.

Please do. We're set to begin the chapter on his theory of causal significance some time over the next few days.

loseyourname said:
The same can be said of the heart, yet we have a constant flow of blood. No mystery there. The same can be said of the Amazon, yet we have one river. No mystery there. There is a problem of personal identity that has always been tricky in philosophy, but it is not necessary to postulate a permanent, immaterial source of identity for the bloodstream or the Amazon. Same thing for the brain and any effects associated with the brain.

Yes, I was referring to the problem of personal identity. How do we account for a constant identity through time?

The difference between the case of a river, and a brain, is that associated with the brain... there is something that is having an experience. Now if there was no experience then there would be no problem. Referring to a river would be perfectly analogous to referring to a brain.

"Something" is having the experience associated with a particular human being. Is this "something" going to be the same "something" tomorrow that has an experience associated with a particular human being?

We can't just say the "human being" is experiencing. Then I'd ask... what exactly is being referred to by "human being".

Suppose you learned that a river was "experiencing". All the water of the river is constantly being replaced... wouldn't you ask yourself, what is experiencing? Is it the water? If it is the water then we have the experiencers constantly living and dying as the water is replaced.

By the way, the brain is the only part of the body that never regenerates any cells once it is fully developed. It is the single most permanent part of the human body.

I see. But the atoms that form our brain are replaced regularly aren't they?

learningphysics, the point is that what is relevant is not the individual constituent parts, but the higher-order pattern they produce. To that end, functionalism seems to solve your dilemma. Loosely stated, functionalism is the view that what the brain does is relevant for consciousness, rather than the identity of its constituent parts over time. Of course, functionalism comes with its own host of problems, such as interest relativity (different people can slice up the brain into different functional parts; who is correct?) and the problem of what constitutes the proper level of abstraction (should we count neural activity as the fundamental functional unit? Is what happens in the cells important?). But, these problems are not necessarily fatal; for instance, Rosenberg's view incorporates some of the attractive features of functionalism while resolving its drawbacks.

hypnagogue said:
You're claiming that the brain/mind link is evidence of correlation, but you're also claiming that it's not evidence of causation.
No. To be precise, I am claiming that "what was presented in post #183” is not evidence of causation (as requested in the question in #183). What was presented is at most evidence of correlation.

Let’s be clear here – I am NOT saying that “there is no evidence that the brain causes consciousness”, I am saying that “the content of post #183 does not constitute (in my book) evidence that the brain causes consciousness”.

hypnagogue said:
Agreed, but insofar as you refute that claim, you must have your own interpretation of what it means, upon which you base your refutation.
The poster in #183 seems to claim(by implication) that :
The observation that consciousness disappears when the brain is removed somehow is evidence that the brain “causes” consciousness. I disagree. I believe at most it is evidence that there is a correlation between brain and consciousness.

My analogy with the flea in post #184 is similar. Remove the flea’s legs, and observe that the flea no longer jumps at the sound of a gun – are you going to suggest that this is then “evidence” that the flea’s legs are somehow responsible for (ie cause) the flea’s sense of hearing? No, of course not. Then why should the “example” given in post #183 be any different?

hypnagogue said:
Bear in mind that I'm not taking any stance on your view by asking these questions; I'm just asking you to make your reasoning more explicit. It would be very clarifying if you could present an example of something that could, in your view, count as evidence for causation. Perhaps you deny that anything could count as evidence for causation? I can't tell from what you've said here thus far.
How much more explicit can I be?

If someone wishes to claim that post #183 is indeed evidence of causation then (with respect) the onus is on them to show why it is evidence of causation rather than of correlation.

MF
:smile:

What kind of evidence of causation is there, besides correlation ?

Tournesol said:
What kind of evidence of causation is there, besides correlation ?
I hope you are not suggesting that every correlation (eg a correlation observed between A & B) is also evidence of direct causation (ie a direct causative link between A and B)?
MF

No. It may well be the case that a) there is no evidence but correlation
and b) correlation is not adequate and sufficient.

Which leaves us with the conclusion that we can be *as* sure that consc. is caused
by the brain *as* we are about any other causal relation.

hypnagogue said:
learningphysics, the point is that what is relevant is not the individual constituent parts, but the higher-order pattern they produce. To that end, functionalism seems to solve your dilemma. Loosely stated, functionalism is the view that what the brain does is relevant for consciousness, rather than the identity of its constituent parts over time. Of course, functionalism comes with its own host of problems, such as interest relativity (different people can slice up the brain into different functional parts; who is correct?) and the problem of what constitutes the proper level of abstraction (should we count neural activity as the fundamental functional unit? Is what happens in the cells important?). But, these problems are not necessarily fatal; for instance, Rosenberg's view incorporates some of the attractive features of functionalism while resolving its drawbacks.

Hypnagogue. The problem remains. Yes, the brain produces a pattern... But again "what is having the experience?"

Is it the pattern that is having the experience? I'd say this is impossible. A pattern is an information entity... not a substance or "thing" of any kind.

What is a pattern? Loosely (I apologize for my rough use of philosophical terms) I'd call it a set of relationships between constituent parts. If each of the constituent parts themselves exhibit no properties of "experience"... then the pattern cannot exhibit any properties of "experience" as it is just the set of relationships between the constituent parts. By definition, the pattern does not experience (if the constituent parts don't)... Also, as I mentioned earlier... it is just an information entity... it is just a bookkeeping tool for the behavior of the consittuent parts.

It makes just about the same sense to say... the geometric arrangement of flowers on a lawn is experiencing... or the set of relative velocities of cars on a race track is experiencing...

What would make sense to me is that when a pattern is formed... the "something" that has experience interfaces with the brain/body.

moving finger said:
I hope you are not suggesting that every correlation (eg a correlation observed between A & B) is also evidence of direct causation (ie a direct causative link between A and B)?
MF

Every correlation is evidence of causation. It isn't necessarily strong evidence, however. Even taking of the flea's legs, though very poor and even more poorly interpreted evidence, is evidence. It looks like you're going ignore my post about Mill's methods, but according to the strongest theory we have of how to determine causation, what was presented here does constitute strong evidence that the brain is causally linked to consciousness. The flea example fails some of Mill's methods and so can be dismissed as evidence of causation.

learningphysics said:
Hypnagogue. The problem remains. Yes, the brain produces a pattern... But again "what is having the experience?"

I can sympathize with your reservations. I don't think a 'pure' functionalism is enough either; but, when supplemented with a rich ontological backing, it seems to do the job. Rosenberg's framework explains subjective experience in terms of causation, which dovetails nicely with functionalism. On his view, intrinsically phenomenal aspects of nature form the basis for the extrinsic relationships described by physics. Furthermore, in his theory of causation, causal connections form inherently individuated systems in nature. It is these natural individuals that are 'having the experience.'

It makes just about the same sense to say... the geometric arrangement of flowers on a lawn is experiencing... or the set of relative velocities of cars on a race track is experiencing...

Sure, it might seem arbitrary; but then again, when we try to make sense of the empirical evidence we have, some sort of functionalism seems to be a strong candidate for explaining p-consciousness. Rosenberg would say that a certain geometric arrangement of flowers is not a natural individual because it does not have the proper sort of causal connections, and thus cannot be a subject of experience. A more traditional, 'pure' functionalist would say that the flowerbed does not experience because it does not perform the right kind of functions.

Last edited:
loseyourname said:
Every correlation is evidence of causation
I disagree.

The point is - one cannot blindly take every correlation and put it forward as evidence of causation. That is bad science.

But use a scientific method to try and first rule out simple correlation (ie do experiments to demonstrate that what is being observed is perhaps more than "just correlation") and it then becomes acceptable to put this forward as evidence of causation. That is good science.

The specific post that I was referring to was an example of correlation only, claiming to be an example of causation, but no attempt was made in that post to demonstrate it was anything other than correlation. Hence bad science.

MF

moving finger said:
But use a scientific method to try and first rule out simple correlation (ie do experiments to demonstrate that what is being observed is perhaps more than "just correlation") and it then becomes acceptable to put this forward as evidence of causation. That is good science.

You still haven't specified exactly what such a procedure might be. Can you offer us what you think are the general principles by which we can rule out simple correlation, or at least provide an example (real or hypothetical) where mere correlation is ruled out?

hypnagogue said:
You still haven't specified exactly what such a procedure might be. Can you offer us what you think are the general principles by which we can rule out simple correlation, or at least provide an example (real or hypothetical) where mere correlation is ruled out?
Hi Hypnagogue,
With respect, why should the onus be on MF to specify such a procedure? I'm happy calling post #183 (and let's be clear, my reference was to post #183) simply evidence for a correlation. If others wish to call post #183 evidence for causation then let them first please propose a procedure to distinguish between correlation and causation.

My point is simply this : That in absence of any such procedure, calling post #183 "evidence that brains cause consciousness" is equivalent to calling my joke "evidence that fleas hear through their legs".

That's all.

MF

(ps - sorry, I am not deliberately trying to be obstructive, but with all honesty I do not see why the onus should be on MF to do what the poster of post #183 should have done).

learningphysics said:
I see. But the atoms that form our brain are replaced regularly aren't they?
Feynman called the brain "last week's potatoes".

learningphysics said:

Exdellent question, learningphysics. Hang in there and don't accept any answers that don't make sense to you.

learningphysics said:
What would make sense to me is that when a pattern is formed... the "something" that has experience interfaces with the brain/body.
I agree. That is exactly what would make sense to me also.

At the risk of leading you astray, or contaminating your thinking, let me describe how I reached my present position from your starting point.

I posited a "something" that has experience and which interfaces with the brain/body and tried to deduce the consequences. So far I am convinced that those consequences are completely consistent with what we experience as conscious beings and with what we seem to perceive as an external world. I am currently actively soliciting opinions indicating errors in my conclusions.

I think an analogy can be made between your sensible description and the music emanating from a radio. The analogs are: experience : music :: brain/body : radio :: interface : EM radiation :: "something" : radio transmitting station :: "has experience" : "produces music" :: "pattern that is formed" : "audio signal superimposed on an RF carrier signal flowing in a specific set of circuits containing electronic components".

learningphysics said:
The problem remains. Yes, the brain produces a pattern... But again "what is having the experience?"
Paul Martin said:
Exdellent question, learningphysics. Hang in there and don't accept any answers that don't make sense to you.
I know - Maybe there is a little man in the brain who is “having the experience”?

Hmmmm, but that means there must be another little man inside him, “having his experience”….and another…. And another…… ohhhhh dear…….
(3rd person objective scientist's problem)

I wonder if it could be possible that rather than “something having the experience”, maybe it is instead the “experience which creates the something”?
(1st person subjective solution)

MF

Paul Martin said:

I agree. That is exactly what would make sense to me also.

At the risk of leading you astray, or contaminating your thinking, let me describe how I reached my present position from your starting point.

I posited a "something" that has experience and which interfaces with the brain/body and tried to deduce the consequences. So far I am convinced that those consequences are completely consistent with what we experience as conscious beings and with what we seem to perceive as an external world. I am currently actively soliciting opinions indicating errors in my conclusions.

I think an analogy can be made between your sensible description and the music emanating from a radio. The analogs are: experience : music :: brain/body : radio :: interface : EM radiation :: "something" : radio transmitting station :: "has experience" : "produces music" :: "pattern that is formed" : "audio signal superimposed on an RF carrier signal flowing in a specific set of circuits containing electronic components".

Hi Paul. Glad someone agrees with me.

Using your analogy... I'd say the physical world is the "radio transmitter", and the "something having the experience" is the "radio receiver".

Meaning the content of experience is determined by the physical world... but for experience to happen there needs to be something that experiences the content... a radio receiver.

moving finger said:
I know - Maybe there is a little man in the brain who is “having the experience”?

Hmmmm, but that means there must be another little man inside him, “having his experience”….and another…. And another…… ohhhhh dear…….

I don't understand the above. My position is that "something" is experiencing. There's no infinite regress or anything like that.

I wonder if it could be possible that rather than “something having the experience”, maybe it is instead the “experience which creates the something”?

MF

Well, what is the "something having the experience". There is "something" right? Whether or not it is created by experience or not, doesn't change the fact that this something exists. Tell us what this "something" is.

The notion of experience existing independent of an experiencer seems unintelligible to me. It is simply the nature of experience, that there is something that is experiencing, and something that is experienced.

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
I don't understand the above. My position is that "something" is experiencing. There's no infinite regress or anything like that.
Then what is wrong with the idea that "I am having the experience"?

Once you start to insist there must be something inside "I" that is having the experience (let us call it "J") then you must also ask "what is inside "J" having the experience?" - is it "K"? In which case, what is inside "K" having the experience?

The only way to break the regress is to accept that there is "nothing inside having the experience" but the experience actually creates the being that is "having it", all in one loop. Not easy to grasp, I know, but it's the only consistent solution (unless you want to get mystical).

learningphysics said:
Well, what is the "something having the experience". There is "something" right? Whether or not it is created by experience or not, doesn't change the fact that this something exists. Tell us what this "something" is.
The experience is "one" with the "being that is having" the experience. You cannot understand it if you insist on 3rd person objectivism (ie that there is an experience and a separate "thing" having the experience), because this leads either to spiritualism or to infinite regress.

learningphysics said:
The notion of experience existing independent of an experiencer seems unintelligible to me.
And as long as you think like this you will be forced into either spiritualism (which is actually not an answer), or an infinite regress. You must try to let go of 3rd person objectivism.

learningphysics said:
It is simply the nature of experience, that there is something that is experiencing, and something that is experienced.
What you describe is the nature of intuition, because all of your life you have looked at the world as if there was an "observer" and an "observed". But consciousness cannot operate like this (unless as I say you accept an infinite regress, or spiritualism), hence accept instead that your intuition is wrong.

MF

Last edited:
moving finger said:
I disagree.

I'm not entirely certain that you do.

The point is - one cannot blindly take every correlation and put it forward as evidence of causation. That is bad science.

Then it is not scientific evidence. That does not mean it isn't evidence. Take the guy at the scene of the crime again. His placement is evidence that he committed the crime. As such, he becomes a suspect. It is, however, very poor evidence that requires a good deal of corroborating evidence to even come close to establishing causation beyond a reasonable doubt. You can call it 'bad forensic science.' That doesn't mean it isn't evidence. It's one small piece in a larger puzzle.

Sure. That's exactly what Mill's methods do. In fact, they were formulated as part of a scientific epistemology.

The specific post that I was referring to was an example of correlation only, claiming to be an example of causation, but no attempt was made in that post to demonstrate it was anything other than correlation. Hence bad science.

That is wrong. It did not claim to be an example of causation. It claimed to be evidence of causation. That it is. Hearing voices come out of a radio is evidence that the radio is speaking. Again, very bad evidence, but it is evidence. You seem to be of the school of Canute that nothing is evidence unless it at least approaches being conclusive. That just isn't the case. A great deal of what we call 'evidence' is scanty and circumstanial. Heck, even expert testimony is evidence.

loseyourname said:
Then it is not scientific evidence. That does not mean it isn't evidence. Take the guy at the scene of the crime again. His placement is evidence that he committed the crime. As such, he becomes a suspect. It is, however, very poor evidence that requires a good deal of corroborating evidence to even come close to establishing causation beyond a reasonable doubt. You can call it 'bad forensic science.' That doesn't mean it isn't evidence. It's one small piece in a larger puzzle.
I'll say it once again - the post referred to was not presenting it as "a piece in a larger puzzle", the post was presenting it as stand-alone evidence pure and simple.

As I said, if you accept this logic then you also accept the logic of my joke as evidence fleas hear through their legs. I wonder why people find this absurd if it is supposed to be so logical?

loseyourname said:
That's exactly what Mill's methods do. In fact, they were formulated as part of a scientific epistemology.
And that's exactly why I said what I did. This has no bearing at all on post #183.

loseyourname said:
Hearing voices come out of a radio is evidence that the radio is speaking.
And my joke is evidence that fleas hear through their legs.
MF

moving finger said:
With respect, why should the onus be on MF to specify such a procedure?

Because it's not entirely clear what MF means when MF says "this is not evidence for causation" but refuses for some reason to tell us what he (she?) thinks would count as such evidence. Perhaps MF and the author of post #183 have different things in mind when they say "evidence for causation." It would be very helpful if they would offer their thoughts on the matter. loseyourname has admirably spoken for the author of post #183 after taking up his cause, but I'm still waiting on MF.

Last edited:
moving finger said:
Then what is wrong with the idea that "I am having the experience"?

Please explain what is being referred to by "I". The body? the brain? what is it? I have no clue what you are referring to.

What I'm suggesting is that there is a soul that is having an experience. I don't see any infinite regress. The soul is not made up of any parts.

Once you start to insist there must be something inside "I" that is having the experience (let us call it "J") then you must also ask "what is inside "J" having the experience?" - is it "K"? In which case, what is inside "K" having the experience?

The only way to break the regress is to accept that there is "nothing inside having the experience" but the experience actually creates the being that is "having it", all in one loop. Not easy to grasp, I know, but it's the only consistent solution (unless you want to get mystical).

Well, my position is that of there being a soul that experiences. So do you agree that I avoid the infinite regress?

You seem to be taking two different positions. 1) Nothing experiences. 2) Some being is created by experience, and that being is having the experience.

I'm not sure which is your position.

What you describe is the nature of intuition, because all of your life you have looked at the world as if there was an "observer" and an "observed". But consciousness cannot operate like this (unless as I say you accept an infinite regress, or spiritualism), hence accept instead that your intuition is wrong.

MF

It is strange that you use the words "I", "you" when you in fact believe that these things do not actually exist.

So the options are to say that "nothing experiences" or go with "spiritualism"... Well, given the options I'll definitely go with "spiritualism".

Although it is intuition, I believe it is more than that (I can't articulate it at the moment, but will try in future posts). The strangeness of the notion of "no-self" is apparent when we consider pain and pleasure. If someone is being tortured... does it make sense to say "pain exists here, but no being is experiencing any pain".

learningphysics said:
So the options are to say that "nothing experiences" or go with "spiritualism"... Well, given the options I'll definitely go with "spiritualism".

Those are not the only options-- in my last response to you, I offered an example of a framework that can coherently identify the 'thing' that experiences. I don't know exactly what you mean by 'spiritualism,' but if you mean a view that claims the existence of souls, then Rosenberg's framework is not spiritualism. You certainly don't have to assume that souls exist in order to account for the experiencing subject.

hypnagogue said:
Because it's not entirely clear what MF means when MF says "this is not evidence for causation" but refuses for some reason to tell us what he (she?) thinks would count as such evidence. Perhaps MF and the author of post #183 have different things in mind when they say "evidence for causation." It would be very helpful if they would offer their thoughts on the matter. loseyourname has admirably spoken for the author of post #183 after taking up his cause, but I'm still waiting on MF.
suggest you instead ask the poster of post #183 to justify his/her claim.
in absence of such justification, MF (on the basis of post #183) claims there is evidence that fleas hear through their legs
MF

learningphysics said:
Please explain what is being referred to by "I". The body? the brain? what is it? I have no clue what you are referring to.
The thing having the experience.

learningphysics said:
What I'm suggesting is that there is a soul that is having an experience. I don't see any infinite regress. The soul is not made up of any parts.
You can call it a soul if you wish. A name in itself means nothing, only how you define it makes it take on any meaning.

learningphysics said:
Well, my position is that of there being a soul that experiences. So do you agree that I avoid the infinite regress?
Yes, as long as you do not then try to isolate what you call the soul, or to look inside what you call the soul, and ask how this thing you call soul is experiencing things without there being something inside to do the experiencing.
What you call soul is convoluted with and interdependent on experience.

learningphysics said:
You seem to be taking two different positions. 1) Nothing experiences. 2) Some being is created by experience, and that being is having the experience.
No, I don’t think I am, why do you say that?

learningphysics said:
I'm not sure which is your position.
Normal 3rd person objectivism would try to break the problem down into “the experience” and “the thing doing the experiencing”. This does not work, because the experience and the “thing which experiences” are convoluted with and interdependent on each other. It is not possible to separate them and say “here on the left we have an experience, devoid of the thing which experiences” and “here on the right we have the thing which experiences, devoid of experience”.
If you want to cut out “the thing which has the experience” as a separate entity, and study it in isolation from the experiences, you will never succeed, because the “thing that experiences” is part and parcel of the experiences.
That is my position.

learningphysics said:
It is strange that you use the words "I", "you" when you in fact believe that these things do not actually exist.
I never said that “I” does not exist. Where did you get that idea?
Look clearly at the beginning of post #233, what is my first sentence?

learningphysics said:
I never said “nothing experiences”. Again you seem to be not reading correctly.
I said
moving finger said:
the experience actually creates the being that is "having it", all in one loop
moving finger said:
The experience is "one" with the "being that is having" the experience

learningphysics said:
Although it is intuition, I believe it is more than that (I can't articulate it at the moment, but will try in future posts).
That’s exactly what intuition is.

learningphysics said:
The strangeness of the notion of "no-self" is apparent when we consider pain and pleasure. If someone is being tortured... does it make sense to say "pain exists here, but no being is experiencing any pain".
I never said there is “no-self”. Again you seem to be reading things that are not there.

MF

moving finger said:
Normal 3rd person objectivism would try to break the problem down into “the experience” and “the thing doing the experiencing”. This does not work, because the experience and the “thing which experiences” are convoluted with and interdependent on each other. It is not possible to separate them and say “here on the left we have an experience, devoid of the thing which experiences” and “here on the right we have the thing which experiences, devoid of experience”.
If you want to cut out “the thing which has the experience” as a separate entity, and study it in isolation from the experiences, you will never succeed, because the “thing that experiences” is part and parcel of the experiences.
That is my position.

Is "the thing which has the experience" logically and metaphysically equivalent to "the experience"?

Is the referrent of "the thing which has the experience" the same as the referrent of "the experience"?

Are you saying that "the experience is having the experience"?

I'm not sure what you mean by "interdependent"... this implies that there are two different parts... they may not be able to exist separately but that is not the issue... So if there are two different parts... my question remains "What is having the experience"

My question all along has been "what is having the experience". That is all. I never said that the "experiencer" exists devoid of experience (yes, I believe this, but that has not been an issue in this thread)

The "infinite regress" straw man

moving finger said:

MF
I think it is a mistake to jump to the conclusion of "infinite regress" whenever a recursive function is encountered. You may never have had a set of nested Russian dolls, but with the mind set you exhibit here, you would stop opening them after the first four (if I counted right in your second paragraph) and say "ohhhhhh dear, there must be an infinite number of dolls here". Nothing in principle prevents the existence of a finite stopping point for any nested sequence I have ever heard of rather than assuming that it continues to "infinity". In fact, in my view, the "infinite" case is the more absurd.

As for your last question, we are talking about experience so it seems perfectly reasonable to me to posit an 'experiencer' in order to talk about what goes on wrt experience. Whether we use a term like 'experiencer' or a "something" makes no difference, as you have pointed out earlier. So, in my view, it makes perfect sense to talk about “something having the experience”. And I think it helps clarify the discussion to talk separately about the “something having the experience” and the experience itself. Maybe in actuality one can't exist without the other but we can certainly identify each of them for purposes of discussion.

Think of a Yin-Yang symbol. The two halves are intertwined, each defines the other, and you can't have one in isolation without either obliterating the one (in case the background is the same color) or dragging the other along anyway (in case the background is different). Yet it is perfectly plausible and useful to talk about each half separately.

But let's go with your suggestion. Instead of talking about “something having the experience”, let's suppose that the “experience ... creates the something” and talk about that. Let's see... The experience creates the something. Hmmmm. What could that something be? Could it be the "something having the experience"?... No, we are taking your suggestion and abandoning that idea for the moment.

What then could it be? Could it be the experience itself? It almost has to be because that is all we are talking about. There seems to be no other candidate once we rule out an 'experiencer', er, I mean "something having the experience".

So that means that your suggestion says "the experience creates the experience". Now, do you suppose these two instances of experience are the same? Or are they different? Well, let's examine both cases.

If they are the same, then there is a strong temptation to jump to the infinite regress conclusion: It must be "experience" all the way down. But, if we don't have a loop here, I think we have nothing but nonsense. On the other hand, we may have stumbled across a solution for any mystery of origins at all. If we are puzzled about the origin of, say, A, then this solution provides the answer: A created A. Very neat and tidy, but utter nonsense.

So it must be that the two experiences are different. Your suggestion must mean that "experience 1 creates experience 2". Now this seems more like it and it begins to sound like some other statements you have made. Of course we are immediately drawn to ask what creates experience 1. And applying the same solution, we discover that each experience is caused by a long chain of preceding experiences. How long? Well it couldn't be infinite or else we would have the dreaded infinite regress which we all abhor.

So we are left with this long history of experiences with no need for anything to have experienced them. This may be possible and may be the case in a zombie world. But as learningphysics has pointed out, there are people in our world who are suffering and being tortured who cry out for a better explanation. They actually feel the problem and would claim that they (they are "something") are having the experience of pain.

With respect, I don't think your suggestion helps.

Paul

Last edited:
If consciousness essentially involve a little man who has the experience, then what about that little man; how does he have that experience? Why he must be conscious! And if conscious, since you hold the little man theory of consciousness, he must have a little man inside him. And by induction every little man must have another little man inside. The induction step depends on the fact that you explain consciouness in general on the little man theory. If the series can stop, it can only be because we have encountered some other theory of consciousness. And if we can contemplate such a thing at step n, why can not we contemplate it at step 1?

learningphysics said:
Glad someone agrees with me.
We seem to agree to some extent, but from what you wrote, there is either some disagreement or some misunderstanding between us.

learningphysics said:
Using your analogy... I'd say the physical world is the "radio transmitter", and the "something having the experience" is the "radio receiver".

Meaning the content of experience is determined by the physical world... but for experience to happen there needs to be something that experiences the content... a radio receiver.
By saying that, you aren't using my analogy in the same way I am. I think I see what you mean as you explained it in your last paragraph here, but that does not fit with my analogy. I think it is because you are attempting to show the flow of information or content from a sender to a receiver, or from a cause to an effect. My use of the analogy does not show that.

What I am trying to show in the analogy are the separately identifiable parts involved in experience, where those parts reside, and how they are connected. The analogy does not show an analogous flow of content of information or effect. The analogy again, for reference is

experience : music :: brain/body : radio :: interface : EM radiation :: "something that has experience" : radio transmitting station :: "has experience" : "produces music" :: "pattern that is formed" : "audio signal superimposed on an RF carrier signal flowing in a specific set of circuits containing electronic components".

The points I want to illustrate with the analogy are that
1. The brain/body, the "pattern that is formed", and the experience itself, all occur or exist in this physical world (just as the radio, the AF and RF signals, and the music occur or exist in the room where the radio is located).
2. The "something" which has the experience is not in the world or part of it (just as the transmitting station is not in the room with the radio or part of it).
3. There is an interface of some sort connecting the "something" with the brain/body (just as EM radiation connects the transmitter with the receiver).

The analogy does not show the flow of information or influence because I have "has experience" analogous to "produces music". One is an input and the other is an output. Moreover, in the radio case, the flow of information is one way only, I believe the link between consciousness and brain is two-way. (The Mars rover is really a better analogy.)

I think we agree that there is "something that has experience" which is important and which we would like to understand better. Where we might not agree is with my belief that there is only one such thing in all reality and that it does not reside or exist in our physical universe.

Paul

selfAdjoint said:
If consciousness essentially involve a little man who has the experience, then what about that little man; how does he have that experience? Why he must be conscious! And if conscious, since you hold the little man theory of consciousness, he must have a little man inside him.

It seems that you're saying step 1 is:
The human body is conscious... so the little man theory of consciousness=> there's a little man inside the human body that is experiencing and is conscious etc...

But I'd say this first step is wrong. My belief is that the human body is not conscious or experiencing... but the "little man" is conscious and experiencing... There is no need to say there's another "little man" inside the first one. If there is such a need, then please explain it. The reason we hypothesize a "little man" is because the body itself (the matter of the body) is not experiencing and not conscious.

ie: I'm not saying that the little man exists because the body is conscious... on the contrary, I'm saying the "little man" exists because the body is NOT conscious. So the process ends right there. There's no need to say there's another "little man".

I don't see the infinite regress.

My belief is that there's a substance not made up of any parts... call it a soul if you will... that has experience. The experiences have a correspondence with the physical changes of the body.

Hypnogue... I'll try to read "A Place for consciousness" and see the other option.

Last edited: