Register to reply

Relationship of the Demagnetizing Energy to the Demagnetizing Field

Share this thread:
PotatoMerrick
Nov13-12, 12:14 PM
P: 1
Hello,

I'm currently reading material on micromagnetics. In these papers, authors define a quantity called the demagnetizing energy ([itex]E_d[/itex]) as
[tex] E_d = -\frac{1}{2} \int_V \vec{m} \cdot \vec{H}_d\;dV [/tex]
where [itex]\vec{m}[/itex] is the internal magnetization of a material sample of volume [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]\vec{H}_d[/itex] is the demagnetising field. The demagnetizing field itself is defined as the negative derivative of the demagnetizing energy with respect to the material magnetisation, i.e.
[tex] \vec{H}_d = -\frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}} [/tex]
My problem is that I would like to know how to derive [itex]\vec{H}_d[/itex] by taking the derivative of [itex]E_d[/itex] with respect to [itex]\vec{m}[/itex]. This is as far as I have got (and I'm not too sure that this is correct)
[tex]\frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}} = \frac{d}{d\vec{m}} \left( -\frac{1}{2}\int_V \vec{m}\cdot\vec{H}_d\;dV \right)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dE_d}{d\vec{m}} = -\frac{1}{2}\int_V \frac{\partial}{\partial\vec{m}}\left(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{H}_d\right)\;dV=-\frac{1}{2}\int_V\frac{\partial\vec{m}}{\partial \vec{m}} \cdot \vec{H}_d + \vec{m}\cdot\frac{\partial \vec{H}_d}{\partial \vec{m}}\;dV=-\frac{1}{2} \int_V \vec{H}_d\;dV - \frac{1}{2}\int_V \vec{m}\cdot\frac{\partial \vec{H}_d}{\partial \vec{m}}\;dV[/tex]
Could some kind soul please give me some pointers as to how to proceed and/or explain to me where I'm going wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond

Register to reply