Register to reply

Constant velocity joints vs. universal joint.

by hover guy
Tags: constant, joint, joints, universal, velocity
Share this thread:
hover guy
Nov15-12, 11:23 AM
P: 9
i have to design an actuation system which will change the angle with which the power is transmitted through a motor,the range of angle is about,--35 to +35,w.r.t to the vertical,what should i use,a u joint or a velocity joint?there is a predefined load on the shaft(bending + torsional),what should i use?
i have on other option to use a hub motor to deliver power,that will eliminate most of the complexities,but i am not sure whether a hub motor is capable of withstanding minor shocks,and bending stresses.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
sophiecentaur
Nov15-12, 04:34 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,923
I am not a Mechanical Engineer but I think you would need to specify a few values before you can expect an answer. So far the answer must be "It depends", I think.
SteamKing
Nov16-12, 12:44 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,308
The range of motion for your application is pretty large. Universal joints are best used when the range of motion is only a few degrees; with larger angles, they can freeze up and they will experience higher wear and shorter life than a comparable CV joint.

Register to reply