constant velocity joints vs. universal joint.

by hover guy
Tags: constant, joint, joints, universal, velocity
hover guy
Nov15-12, 11:23 AM
P: 9
i have to design an actuation system which will change the angle with which the power is transmitted through a motor,the range of angle is about,--35 to +35,w.r.t to the vertical,what should i use,a u joint or a velocity joint?there is a predefined load on the shaft(bending + torsional),what should i use?
i have on other option to use a hub motor to deliver power,that will eliminate most of the complexities,but i am not sure whether a hub motor is capable of withstanding minor shocks,and bending stresses.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
sophiecentaur
Nov15-12, 04:34 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,352
I am not a Mechanical Engineer but I think you would need to specify a few values before you can expect an answer. So far the answer must be "It depends", I think.
SteamKing
Nov16-12, 12:44 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,536
The range of motion for your application is pretty large. Universal joints are best used when the range of motion is only a few degrees; with larger angles, they can freeze up and they will experience higher wear and shorter life than a comparable CV joint.

Register to reply