View Poll Results: Should the monarchy in Great Britain be abolished?
Yes 28 52.83%
No 25 47.17%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

Should Great Britain abolish its monarchy?

by Shay10825
Tags: abolish, britain, monarchy
Share this thread:
Shadow
Mar15-05, 09:17 PM
P: 120
I think you do look like lindsay lohan. Wear something skanky and you are her. Do you know how many guys'd be checkin you? word.

I agree.

I've only been alive for the past 16 years, and geopolitics didn't really become interesting to me until relatively recently, gimme a bit of a break.
...you fight hard sometimes but when it is clear you have lost...you use your age?
misskitty
Mar15-05, 09:25 PM
P: 1,105
Age can be a valid excuse for losing and arguement
stoned
Mar18-05, 01:05 PM
P: 218
British can keep them parasites(royalty), but why Canada or Australia still recognize Queen as their head of state is beyond me.
brewnog
Mar18-05, 01:55 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,794
Quote Quote by stoned
British can keep them parasites(royalty), but why Canada or Australia still recognize Queen as their head of state is beyond me.
It's a good point. At least we make millions of pounds every year from Americans coming to look at Buckingham Palace. What benefits do citizens of Her Majesty's other states get from her?
stoned
Mar18-05, 02:22 PM
P: 218
Quote Quote by brewnog
What benefits do citizens of Her Majesty's other states get from her?
I think Canada prides itself of having Foreigner as a head of state,this way Canadians pretend to be different, more civilized than their American cousins.
Telos
Mar18-05, 02:33 PM
P: 147
Quote Quote by BobG
While it's somewhat outdated, the concept of the US is that I'm a Coloradan, while someone from Virginia is a Virginian, someone from Indiana is a ... uh ... Hoosier?, someone from Connecticut is a ... .... .
lol, that was great. Your post motivated me to look up the list (I guess they're called "demonyms") and cast away the mystery that has plagued us all for so long.

The most comprehensive one I found is at the following link, along with demonyms for cities and other nations of the world.

http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1450700

The funniest one is "M*******," which is slang for someone from Massachusetts. It's not necessarily pejorative! [Edit: but the forum filter definitely thinks it is.]

And I want the UK's monarchy abolished if only for the simple joy of not having be exposed to it as the subject of tabloid news.

Oh yeah, and everyone from the UK is British. That's where the confusion about referring to the UK as Britain comes from.
misskitty
Mar18-05, 05:14 PM
You would have thought that Canada would have seceeded (sp?) by now having its own government and all.
selfAdjoint
Mar18-05, 10:37 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
If you ask two Canadians whether the Queen is queen of Canada, really, you will get three different answers.
misskitty
Mar20-05, 02:02 AM
Three? What are they? I don't have any Canadians on hand to ask.
Telos
Mar30-05, 03:17 PM
Oh yeah, and it doesn't help that the UK lacks its own soccer team.

When we see "England" play "Germany" we think it's between two countries, and presume that you don't mind all being called "English." ;)
brewnog
Mar30-05, 06:45 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Telos
Oh yeah, and it doesn't help that the UK lacks its own soccer team.
Soccer? Oh, you mean football!

Quote Quote by Telos
When we see "England" play "Germany" we think it's between two countries, and presume that you don't mind all being called "English." ;)
A match between England and Germany is between two countries. Are you winding me up?

The people from England wouldn't mind being called English, but the people from Germany would probably prefer to be called German.
Telos
Mar30-05, 06:56 PM
Quote Quote by brewnog
A match between England and Germany is between two countries.
So the UK isn't a country?

Oh wait... the UK is a "country of countries." Well, pardon me for being confused by that one!
brewnog
Mar30-05, 07:29 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Telos
So the UK isn't a country?

Oh wait... the UK is a "country of countries." Well, pardon me for being confused by that one!
I just didn't understand why you were bringing Germany into it!
Telos
Mar30-05, 08:24 PM
Quote Quote by brewnog
I just didn't understand why you were bringing Germany into it!
It was a poor example, or at least I wrote it very poorly. I apologize.

I did some more reading on the matter. I honestly didn't realize that England, Scotland, and Wales were also considered countries. I guess I have the lingering US mindset of e pluribus unum, that only one country makes a nation, and forgot that your nation was united under different circumstances.
brewnog
Mar31-05, 06:18 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Telos
It was a poor example, or at least I wrote it very poorly. I apologize.

I did some more reading on the matter. I honestly didn't realize that England, Scotland, and Wales were also considered countries. I guess I have the lingering US mindset of e pluribus unum, that only one country makes a nation, and forgot that your nation was united under different circumstances.
Ah, but you forgot about the crown dependencies, the overseas territories, and Northern Ireland!
Telos
Apr2-05, 09:59 AM
Quote Quote by brewnog
Ah, but you forgot about the crown dependencies, the overseas territories, and Northern Ireland!
Those are all considered countries in their own right as well?
selfAdjoint
Apr2-05, 11:34 AM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
I don't think Wales is considered a country, although they have given it some limited home rule. It was conquered in the middle ages and since then has formed part of the country England. It is a principality, and Charles is its prince. What did you think "Prince of Wales" meant?
Telos
Apr3-05, 03:04 PM
Quote Quote by selfAdjoint
What did you think "Prince of Wales" meant?
Absolutely nothing; a vacuous false-title of antiquated good-for-nothingness. Why else would we be having the discussion of abolishing a monarchy? It's not like it would be a "revolution."

Would it?

Register to reply