by bugatti79
Tags: balance, beam, bernoulli, euler, order, units
Share this thread:
bugatti79
Nov15-12, 02:23 PM
P: 652
Folks,

I am trying to understand the balance of units for this eqn

## \displaystyle \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(E(x)I(x) \frac{d^2 w(x)}{dx^2})+c_f(x)w(x)=q(x)##

where ##E## is the modulus of Elasticity, ##I## is the second moment of area, ##c_f## is the elastic foundation modulus, ##w## is deflection and ##q## is the distributed transverse load.

Based on the above I calculate the units to be

## \displaystyle \frac{d^2}{dx^2}[\frac{N}{m^2} m^4 \frac{d^2 m}{dx^2}]+\frac{N}{m^2} m=\frac{N}{m}##

gives

##\displaystyle {Nm^3} +\frac{N}{m}=\frac{N}{m}##

##LHS \ne RHS##....?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Mute
Nov15-12, 04:40 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
The derivatives ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}## have units of ##1/m^2##.
bugatti79
Nov16-12, 05:45 AM
P: 652
Quote Quote by Mute View Post
The derivatives ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}## have units of ##1/m^2##.
Ok, I see how they balance now. The question I have is how is this shown mathematically that the 2nd derivatives have ##1/m^2## units?

##f(x)= f(units in meters)##
##f'(x)= f(units in meters)##
##f''(x)= f(units in meters)##....?

HallsofIvy
Nov16-12, 07:39 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,344
Euler Bernoulli Beam 4th order ODE -Balance of Units

df/dx is defined as [itex]\lim_{h\to 0} (f(x+h)- f(x))/h[/itex]. The numerator is in what ever units h has. The denominator is in whatever unis x has- "meters" in your case- so the derivative has the units of f divided by the units of x and the second derivative has units of units of f divided by the units of x, squared.

Surely you learned this in basic Calculus? if f(t) is a distance function, with units "meters" and t is time, in "seconds", then df/dt is a speed with units "meters per second" and d2f/dt2 is an acceleration with units of "meters per second squared".

Register to reply