AC vs DC power loss across a resistor

In summary: Transmission losses are calculated as I*I*R if you halve the current you get one quarter of the transmission losses. as to V*V/R or I*V remember you don't drop your total voltage over the transmission lines.When current and voltage are in phase, as they are with AC, then the losses are the same as P*I*R. When they're out of phase, as they are with DC, the losses are P*I*(R-V)/2. So with DC, you lose 25% of the power when the current is halved. With AC, you lose 50% of the power.
Crazeestuff
I was recently informed that AC is the preferred method of transmitting power because it suffers significantly less power loss going from the generating station to where ever it needs to go when compared to DC losses.

In my introductory electricity class we learned that power through a given circuit follows P=IV where P is power, I is current, and R is the resistance.

So why would the power loss be different for an AC vs DC transmission?

For AC I know there would be a low amperage and a high voltage so that you could later step the current up through a transformer so that means a low current and high voltage.

DC would just be a high voltage and low current so either way we're stuck with the same power delivery.

Even going through the substitution of P=IV=I2R the last term across a load is still P=V2/R so I just don't see how there is any difference mathematically between AC and DC power losss across a resistor.

However, conceptually it does make sense. With more current, I conceptually see why more "collisions" would occur in the wire and cause more power loss but I can't wrap my head around it mathematically.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is easy to convert AC to high voltage for transmission and back to lower voltages for local distribution, doing the same thing with DC is much more complicated and expensive.
Transmission losses are calculated as I*I*R if you halve the current you get one quarter of the transmission losses. as to V*V/R or I*V remember you don't drop your total voltage over the transmission lines.

AC is better over short distances (<1000km), where the better transformators matter. If you want to transmit power over large distances, DC is better, and the losses in the transformation (they do not depend on the distance) are acceptable.

In both cases, high voltage (between the cables, not IN the cables!) and low current are important, as Jobrag showed.

The logistics part I completely get but could you elaborate on

Jobrag said:
Transmission losses are calculated as I*I*R if you halve the current you get one quarter of the transmission losses. as to V*V/R or I*V remember you don't drop your total voltage over the transmission lines.

because in my mind I still see I2* R = V2/R.

What do you mean by you don't drop the total voltage of the transmission lines.

Crazeestuff,

I was recently informed that AC is the preferred method of transmitting power because it suffers significantly less power loss going from the generating station to where ever it needs to go when compared to DC losses.
Resistance is the same whether AC or DC. AC might be preferred for other reasons like ease of changing voltages with a transformer, but not for resistance. Resistance is determined by the physical shape and materials of the conductors, not by what voltage or current are sent through the wires.

In my introductory electricity class we learned that power through a given circuit follows P=IV where P is power, I is current, and R is the resistance.

Those formulas are correct for both AC and DC, provided that the current and voltage are in phase in AC.

So why would the power loss be different for an AC vs DC transmission?

Ask the person who told you that.

For AC I know there would be a low amperage and a high voltage so that you could later step the current up through a transformer so that means a low current and high voltage.

That sentence does not make any sense to me.

DC would just be a high voltage and low current so either way we're stuck with the same power delivery.

For long distance transmission, high voltage and low current is preferred for both AC and DC to minimize IR losses.

However, conceptually it does make sense. With more current, I conceptually see why more "collisions" would occur in the wire and cause more power loss but I can't wrap my head around it mathematically.

More current causes higher IR losses in both AC and DC, so that does not make any difference.

DC power had one advantage and one disadvantage. The DC current is steady, while the AC goes to zero and reverses. That means that AC current has an RMS value that is 30% less than DC for the same wire diameter. So DC transmission can get by with smaller diameter wire, which saves a lot of money. The disadvantage is that inverters to change the voltage of DC are more expensive.

Ratch

Jobrag said:

I have no issues with the logistics of AC and DC but would you please elaborate on your last sentence? I can't see the mathematical difference in P=I*V vs P=I2*R vs P= V2/R which is my big issue.

Crazy,

I can't see the mathematical difference in P=I*V vs P=I2*R vs P= V2/R which is my big issue.

OK, according to P=I*V, if you double the voltage, the transmission line needs to carry half the current to deliver the same power to a load somewhere. The transmission line resistance is constant at R, so if the current is halved, then according to (I^2)*R, the power loss in the transmission line is one quarter of what it was before.

Ratch

You have to consider two different voltages:

V between the cables, and V' as voltage drop in the cables itself.
P=V*I is the total transmitted power, and P'=V'*I is the power lost in the cables.
V'=I*R, so P'=I^2*R
The fraction which is lost in the cable is then given by (I^2*R)/(VI) = IR/V = PR/V^2 = I^2R/P

As you can see, a higher voltage between the cables and a lower current in the cables is better.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC power loss across a resistor?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) power loss across a resistor is the direction of the current flow. In AC, the current flows back and forth, constantly changing direction, while in DC, the current flows in only one direction. This results in different patterns of power loss across a resistor.

2. How does the frequency of the power supply affect the power loss in a resistor?

The frequency of the power supply does not directly affect the power loss in a resistor. However, it can indirectly affect it by changing the impedance of the circuit, which can then affect the power loss. In general, higher frequencies result in lower impedance and thus lower power loss.

3. Why does AC power loss across a resistor differ from DC power loss?

The difference in power loss between AC and DC is due to the nature of the alternating current. As the current changes direction, it creates a magnetic field around the resistor, which can cause energy to be lost as heat. This effect is not present in DC, resulting in lower power loss.

4. How can the power loss in a resistor be calculated for both AC and DC circuits?

The power loss in a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, where power (P) is equal to the square of the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). In AC circuits, the current and resistance are typically represented as complex numbers, taking into account the effects of impedance and reactance. The total power loss in an AC circuit can be calculated by adding the power losses for each component in the circuit.

5. How does the length and thickness of a resistor affect the power loss in AC vs DC circuits?

The length and thickness of a resistor can affect the power loss in both AC and DC circuits. In general, longer and thinner resistors will have higher power loss due to a greater resistance. In AC circuits, the length and thickness can also affect the reactance and impedance of the resistor, which can further impact the power loss. In both cases, a larger surface area can help dissipate heat and reduce power loss.