Register to reply

Condition for local absolute continuity to imply uniform continuity

by pickledgator
Tags: continuity, measure theory, real analysis
Share this thread:
pickledgator
Nov20-12, 10:18 AM
P: 1
Given that [itex]x\left(t\right)[/itex] is locally absolutely continuous, and [itex]\dot{x}=f\left(x,t\right)[/itex] exists almost everywhere, is it possible to place a condition on [itex]f\left(x,t\right)[/itex] to allow us to show that [itex]x\left(t\right)[/itex] is uniformly continuous? Perhaps that [itex]\dot{x}=f\left(x,t\right)[/itex] is locally uniformly bounded in t? But I'm not sure how to prove this and have not been able to find any specific resources that point to this fact.

I understand that absolutely continuous functions are by nature uniformly continuous, and if [itex]x\left(t\right)[/itex] is differentiable everywhere and [itex]\dot{x}=f\left(x,t\right)[/itex] is bounded everywhere, the [itex]x\left(t\right)[/itex] is UC. However, I am at a loss as to how to extend UC to these measure variations.

Thanks for any help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems

Register to reply