Answer:Work-Energy Scaling: R_k,R_w = 3,1

In summary, the particle's mass is initially M with a speed of v_i and is pushed a distance D by a force of magnitude F. When the mass is increased to 3M, the multiplicative factor for initial kinetic energy is 3 and the multiplicative factor for work done by the force is 3. Therefore, R_k = 3 and R_w = 3.
ProBasket
A particle of mass [tex]M[/tex] moves along a straight line with initial speed [tex]v_i[/tex]. A force of magnitude [tex]F[/tex]pushes the particle a distance [tex]D[/tex] along the direction of its motion.

assume that the particle's mass is increased to 3M.

B.)By what multiplicative factor [tex]R_k[/tex] does the initial kinetic energy increase, and by what multiplicative factor [tex]R_w[/tex] does the work done by the force increase (with respect to the case when the particle had a mass [tex]M[/tex])

If one of the quantities doubles, for instance, it would increase by a factor of 2. If a quantity stays the same, then the multiplicative factor would be 1.

You should enter the two factors separated by a comma.

[tex]R_k,R_w = ___________ [/tex]

this is what i think:

to find [tex]R_k[/tex] i must use this formula: 1/2*m*v^2
to find [tex]R_W[/tex], i must use this formula: W=f*d

okay, now to find r_k: 1/2*M*v^2 = 3M (cancel everything and get only 3)

now to find r_w:
[tex]W = 1/2*M*v_i^2+F*D -1/2*M*v_i^2 = 1/2*3M*v_i^2+F*D -1/2*3M*v_i^2[/tex] <-- i get 0, is this correct?

i'm pretty sure I'm doing it incorrectly, but i don't know how to correct it. can someone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what does Rk and Rw correspond? does Rk or Rw ask for the 3M part or the M part??

Please type out the question exactly how you read it. This doesn't make any sense otherwise.

i copied the whole thing (it's online,so i just copied and pasted). but R_K is kinetic energy multiplicative factor and R_w is tk work multiplicative factor

edit: i just figured it out, thanks anyways

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of R_k and R_w in the work-energy scaling equation?

The variables R_k and R_w represent the ratios between the kinetic energy and work done by an object, respectively. They are used in the work-energy scaling equation to determine the relationship between an object's kinetic energy and the work done on it.

2. How are R_k and R_w calculated?

R_k and R_w are calculated by dividing the kinetic energy and work done by an object, respectively, by their respective scaling factors. In this case, the scaling factors are both equal to 3 and 1, respectively.

3. What does it mean when R_k and R_w have a value of 3 and 1, respectively?

A value of 3 for R_k means that the kinetic energy of the object is three times greater than the work done on it. Similarly, a value of 1 for R_w means that the work done on the object is equal to its kinetic energy.

4. How does changing the values of R_k and R_w affect the work-energy scaling equation?

Changing the values of R_k and R_w will alter the relationship between an object's kinetic energy and the work done on it. For example, if R_k is increased, the kinetic energy of the object will also increase at a greater rate compared to the work done on it.

5. What applications does the work-energy scaling equation have in the field of science?

The work-energy scaling equation is commonly used in fields such as physics and engineering to analyze the relationship between an object's kinetic energy and the work done on it. It is also used in various calculations, such as determining the efficiency of a machine, predicting the motion of an object, and understanding the transfer of energy in different systems.