Find the charge on each capacitor

by Gonger
Tags: capacitor, charge
Gonger
Mar4-05, 02:34 PM
P: 10
I'm trying to do this problem, its is posted below, where I have a circuit with four capacitors and I have to determine the charge on each one. Ive been trying to follow an example from my textbook but thats not really helping me. Ive been also trying to break it down with capacitors in parallel and in series, but I keep getting stuck. Anyone have any suggestions for any of this. There is a diagram of the circuit in the attachement. And this is the question:

In the figure, battery B supplies 18 V. Find the charge on each capacitor first when only switch S1 is closed. Take C1=1.3 F, C2=2.3 F, C3=3.6 F, and C4=4.2 F.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
26-33.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
mewmew
Mar4-05, 02:37 PM
P: 115
If s1 is closed the top and bottom two are in series and then you have two that are in parallel.

Edit: If s2 is closed first than you simply have the left set and right set in parallel and then the two equivelent are in series.
Gonger
Mar4-05, 03:27 PM
P: 10
yeah I've got that all figured out, its calculating it from there that I am having problems with.

Corneo
Mar4-05, 04:56 PM
P: 322

Find the charge on each capacitor

I would first calculate the effective capacitance of the circuit.

Since C1 and C3 are in series then their effective capacitance is [itex]C_{13} = \{ \frac {1}{C_1} + \frac {1}{C_3}\}^{-1}[/itex]

Like wise the effective capacitor between C2 and C4 is [itex]C_{24} = \{ \frac {1}{C_2} + \frac {1}{C_4} \}^{-1}[/itex]

Now you can use the definition of a capitance to find out the charge in [itex]C_{i}[/itex]

[itex]Q = C_{i} V [/itex]

Then you use the fact that capacitors in series have the same charge, Q. While capacitors in parallel have the same potential, V.

Register to reply