Register to reply

What is the Extinction Ratio?

by JPBenowitz
Tags: extinction, ratio
Share this thread:
JPBenowitz
Dec31-12, 12:38 AM
P: 127
I am a little bit confused on what an extinction ratio is. I am looking at optical specs and it keeps on coming up. Would someone be kind enough to explain it to me and perhaps provide a mathematical background thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
the_emi_guy
Dec31-12, 01:21 AM
P: 587
When laser diodes are used to transmit binary data (fiber optic communications), a "1" is transmitted as a higher optical power level than the "0". The extinction ratio is simply the ratio of these two power levels:

[tex]Extinction Ratio = \frac{logic 1 power}{logic 0 power}[/tex]
JPBenowitz
Dec31-12, 01:39 PM
Quote Quote by the_emi_guy View Post
When laser diodes are used to transmit binary data (fiber optic communications), a "1" is transmitted as a higher optical power level than the "0". The extinction ratio is simply the ratio of these two power levels:

[tex]Extinction Ratio = \frac{logic 1 power}{logic 0 power}[/tex]
So a 1000:1 extinction ratio is simply that for every 1000 bits transmitted 1 bit is lost due to a loss in power?

the_emi_guy
Dec31-12, 02:57 PM
What is the Extinction Ratio?

No.

First an extinction ratio of 1000 (30dB) would not be normal. Let's take a more normal situation with a ratio of 10.

Laser is transmitting 1mW for logic 1.
Laser is transmitting 100uW for logic 0.
Extinction ratio is 10.
JPBenowitz
Dec31-12, 04:12 PM
Quote Quote by the_emi_guy View Post
No.

First an extinction ratio of 1000 (30dB) would not be normal. Let's take a more normal situation with a ratio of 10.

Laser is transmitting 1mW for logic 1.
Laser is transmitting 100uW for logic 0.
Extinction ratio is 10.
I understand that but what does that entail for the bits of information? A ratio of 1000 is a loss in signal of 30dB?
berkeman
Dec31-12, 04:20 PM
Mentor
P: 40,932
Quote Quote by JPBenowitz View Post
I understand that but what does that entail for the bits of information? A ratio of 1000 is a loss in signal of 30dB?
Not loss of signal.

This is an example of AM (amplitude modulation). Do you know what a Modulation Depth is? If you look that up, the Extinction Ratio should make more sense.
the_emi_guy
Dec31-12, 04:44 PM
Quote Quote by JPBenowitz View Post
The bits of information are encoded as optical power level.

Think of ordinary electrical digital logic. A TTL device encodes logic 1 as >2.2V and logic 0 as <0.8V. An ECL device encodes logic 1 as -0.9V and logic 0 as -1.7V.

Binary digits are encoded on a fiber optic cable as logic 1 and logic 0 optical power levels. (This is a gross oversimplification, I am trying to convey the basic idea).
jim hardy
Dec31-12, 05:19 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,636
Simplification looks in order here.....??

It's more like two people talking at some distance, say shouting down a hallway:
IF:
A loud shout is a "1"
and a soft shout is a "0"
(and heaven only knows why they're talking in binary).
A loud shout might be 10X louder than a soft one which would be an extinction ratio of 10,
but that says nothing about how many soft shouts were mistaken for loud ones , or were not heard at all.

db comes from the unit BEL, after Alexander Graham.
A bel is the logarithm of ratio between two powers, log(P2/P1).
A decibel is a tenth of a bel, 10X log (P2/P1)

Register to reply