Accelerating electromagnetic system

by DynastyV
Tags: accelerating, electromagnetic
Share this thread:
BruceW
Jan2-13, 11:20 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,440
for example, on the lower part of your picture, the current is going into the page, so in the space just above the 'north' pole, the magnetic field lines from the magnet are going against the field lines created by the wire. And in the space just below the north pole, the field lines are almost matching up. Therefore, this magnet will be pushed downwards, so that the field lines will become less steeply curved.
BruceW
Jan2-13, 11:24 PM
HW Helper
Another way to work it out is if we give our magnets a specific form. For example, the magnets might be made of solenoids. In this case, you can work out the Lorentz force on the charged particles in the wire of the solenoid, and you can work out the force on the 'magnet' (i.e. solenoid), which gives the same answer as the other method.
DynastyV
Jan3-13, 12:12 AM
P: 10
Quote Quote by BruceW View Post
Another way to work it out is if we give our magnets a specific form. For example, the magnets might be made of solenoids. In this case, you can work out the Lorentz force on the charged particles in the wire of the solenoid, and you can work out the force on the 'magnet' (i.e. solenoid), which gives the same answer as the other method.
I took a look at your solenoid example and found that all the forces on the solenoids cancel out. Here is a picture of the top part of the loop. A similar picture can be drawn for the bottom part of the loop.

Edit: The effect is similar to a compass needle aligning with Earth's magnetic field
BruceW
Jan3-13, 06:50 AM
HW Helper
The green arrows (the force on the wire) is almost horizontal, but not. Because the wire is not exactly horizontal to the central wire, all the green arrows will be pointing downward slightly. This is the force on the magnets.

Register to reply