A right circular cone is inscribed in a hemisphere.

by pringless
Tags: circular, cone, hemisphere, inscribed
pringless
Oct2-03, 02:32 PM
P: 46
A right circular cone is inscribed in a hemisphere. The figure is expanding in such a way that the combinded surface area of the hemisphere and its base is increasing at a constant rate of 18 in^2 per second. At what rate is the volume of the cone changing when the radius of the common base is 4 in?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
HallsofIvy
Oct3-03, 06:47 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,904
Are you sure this shouldn't be under "homework help"? [:)]

I assume that the cone is inscribed in the hemisphere so that its base is the circular base of the hemispher.

If I remember correctly, the surface area of a sphere is 4 &pi r2 so the surface area of a hemisphere is 2 &pi r2 and the "combinded surface area of the hemisphere and its base" is A= 3 &pi r2. Knowing that dA= 18 square inches per second, you should be able to find the rate of change of r from that.

The volume of a right circular cone is given by V= (1/3) &pi r2h (I confess I looked that up). In this case, the height of the cone, as well as the radius of its base, is the radius of the hemisphere so V= (1/3) &pi r3. Since you have already calculated dr/dt, you can use that to find dV/dt.

(Why are the "& codes" that Greg Barnhardt noted not working for me?)
phoenixthoth
Oct6-03, 12:32 AM
P: 1,572
do they need to be (and are they) followed by semicolons?

Register to reply