Register to reply

A right circular cone is inscribed in a hemisphere.

by pringless
Tags: circular, cone, hemisphere, inscribed
Share this thread:
pringless
Oct2-03, 02:32 PM
P: 46
A right circular cone is inscribed in a hemisphere. The figure is expanding in such a way that the combinded surface area of the hemisphere and its base is increasing at a constant rate of 18 in^2 per second. At what rate is the volume of the cone changing when the radius of the common base is 4 in?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
HallsofIvy
Oct3-03, 06:47 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,317
Are you sure this shouldn't be under "homework help"?

I assume that the cone is inscribed in the hemisphere so that its base is the circular base of the hemispher.

If I remember correctly, the surface area of a sphere is 4 &pi r2 so the surface area of a hemisphere is 2 &pi r2 and the "combinded surface area of the hemisphere and its base" is A= 3 &pi r2. Knowing that dA= 18 square inches per second, you should be able to find the rate of change of r from that.

The volume of a right circular cone is given by V= (1/3) &pi r2h (I confess I looked that up). In this case, the height of the cone, as well as the radius of its base, is the radius of the hemisphere so V= (1/3) &pi r3. Since you have already calculated dr/dt, you can use that to find dV/dt.

(Why are the "& codes" that Greg Barnhardt noted not working for me?)
phoenixthoth
Oct6-03, 12:32 AM
P: 1,572
do they need to be (and are they) followed by semicolons?

Register to reply