Formula for the star density of the milky way?

In summary, the star density of the Milky Way can be approximated by the formula "Density \propto e^{-R/a}*e^{-h/b}", where R and h are the radius and height from the center of the galaxy. The values of a and b, which represent the constants in the formula, are approximately 8kpc and 1kpc respectively. More accurate numbers can be found in research papers.
pere plank
It would be great if any of you could give me an aproximate formula of the star density of the milky way, as far as i know (and I'm not pretty sure), it falls off exponentially, both vertically and radially. The formula i have in my head would be something like
##Density \propto e^{-R/a}*e^{-h/b}##
where R and h would be the radius and the height (taking as center the center of the galaxy) and a and b would be constants that i need to find.

how wrong am i? could you help me find a and b? (the central budge isn't included in that formula)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yeah that's about right. If I remember correctly, a is about 8kpc and b is about 1kpc. I'm sure you can find more accurate numbers in papers.

1. What is the formula for calculating the star density of the Milky Way?

The formula for calculating the star density of the Milky Way is: number of stars / volume of space. This can be expressed as: ρ = N/V, where ρ is the star density, N is the number of stars, and V is the volume of space.

2. How do scientists determine the number of stars in the Milky Way?

There are a few methods that scientists use to estimate the number of stars in the Milky Way. One method is to use statistical models based on the observable properties of stars and their distribution in the galaxy. Another method is to use data from telescopes and space missions to count and map out the stars in the galaxy.

3. What factors affect the star density of the Milky Way?

The star density of the Milky Way can be affected by various factors, such as the age and size of the galaxy, the presence of dark matter, and the rate of star formation. Other factors like the location within the galaxy and the presence of gas and dust can also impact the star density.

4. What is the estimated star density of the Milky Way?

The estimated star density of the Milky Way is approximately 0.14 stars per cubic light year. However, this number can vary depending on the method used to calculate it and the assumptions made about the distribution of stars in the galaxy.

5. How does the star density of the Milky Way compare to other galaxies?

The star density of the Milky Way is considered to be relatively low compared to other spiral galaxies of similar size. It is estimated that our galaxy contains fewer stars than the Andromeda galaxy, but more stars than smaller dwarf galaxies. The star density can also vary within different regions of the Milky Way.