Velocity auto-correlation

• Thread starter vjramana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, to calculate the VACF for your system, you will need to calculate the average velocity for each frame and then use these values to calculate the correlation between each pair of frames.
vjramana
I wish to get some explanation on calculating velocity auto-correlation for water molecules in a box.

I have done 100 ns molecular dynamics simulation on 1445 water molecules in a box. Also I have calculated velocity for each water molecule in a frame. A frame contains 1445 water molecules, so for each frame I have 1445 velocity values. I have total 10000 frames.

Now I want to calculate the velocity auto-correlation function for this system. I am confused if I shall need to calculate average velocity for each frame (average for 1445 molecules in one frame) - this means I will have 10000 averaged velocities, each value will represent velocity from each frame (total 10000 frames).

And then calculate the velocity auto-correlation function?

I appreciate any explanation.

Thanks in advance.
Vijay

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity auto-correlation function (VACF) is used to measure the correlation between the velocity of a particle at two different points in time. In order to calculate the VACF, you will need to calculate the average velocities for each frame (averaged over all 1445 molecules in the frame). Then, you can calculate the correlation between each pair of frames by subtracting the average velocity of each frame from the average velocity of the other frame and multiplying the result by the average of the products of the velocities of individual molecules in each frame. You can then sum up all these correlations to get the VACF.

1. What is velocity auto-correlation?

Velocity auto-correlation is a mathematical tool used in the study of molecular dynamics. It measures the correlation between the velocities of particles in a system at different points in time.

2. How is velocity auto-correlation calculated?

Velocity auto-correlation is calculated by taking the product of the velocities of two particles at different points in time, and then averaging this product over all pairs of particles in the system.

3. What is the significance of velocity auto-correlation in molecular dynamics simulations?

Velocity auto-correlation is a crucial tool in molecular dynamics simulations because it provides information about the dynamics of a system. It can reveal how particles move and interact with each other over time, and can also be used to calculate other important thermodynamic properties.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of velocity auto-correlation calculations?

The accuracy of velocity auto-correlation calculations can be affected by several factors, including the size of the system, the length of the simulation, and the time step used. In addition, the accuracy can also be influenced by the force field and other simulation parameters used.

5. How is velocity auto-correlation used in the analysis of experimental data?

Velocity auto-correlation can be used in the analysis of experimental data to compare the results with those obtained from molecular dynamics simulations. This can provide insights into the behavior of real systems and help validate the accuracy of simulation results.