Register to reply

Riemann Sum with subintervals/partition

by MelissaJL
Tags: riemann sum
Share this thread:
MelissaJL
Jan17-13, 10:31 PM
P: 36
So I missed a class and am trying to figure out a question in my textbook but am completely lost. It goes a little something like this:
Let f(x)=x3 and let P=<-2,0,1,3,4> be a partition of [-2,4].
a) Compute Riemann Sum S(f,P*) if the points <x1*,x2*,x3*,x4*>=<-1,1,2,4> are embedded in P.

Now I know how to calculate other Riemann Sums but I have not encountered one with a partition and subintervals yet. I tried to do the autodidactic thing and look up examples and videos but I could not find one similar to this. If I could get some help on how I approach this type of question that would be great.

The answer is 79.

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
Zondrina
Jan17-13, 11:21 PM
P: 1,594
Quote Quote by MelissaJL View Post
So I missed a class and am trying to figure out a question in my textbook but am completely lost. It goes a little something like this:
a) Compute Riemann Sum S(f,P*) if the points <x1*,x2*,x3*,x4*>=<-1,1,2,4> are embedded in P.

Now I know how to calculate other Riemann Sums but I have not encountered one with a partition and subintervals yet. I tried to do the autodidactic thing and look up examples and videos but I could not find one similar to this. If I could get some help on how I approach this type of question that would be great.

The answer is 79.

You want to compute the Riemann sum. I'll give you a hand here.. Recall that [itex]Δx_i = \frac{b-a}{n}[/itex]

What do you get when you compute this : [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i)Δx_i[/itex]

Where xi is an arbitrary point in the i'th subinterval.
SammyS
Jan17-13, 11:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 7,808
Quote Quote by Zondrina View Post
You want to compute the Riemann sum. I'll give you a hand here.. Recall that [itex]Δx_i = \frac{b-a}{n}[/itex]

What do you get when you compute this : [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} f(x_i)Δx_i[/itex]

Where xi is an arbitrary point in the i'th subinterval.
The specified partition does not have equal length sub-intervals.

Δx1 = 2 = Δx3 .

Δx2 = 1 = Δx4 .

HallsofIvy
Jan18-13, 08:51 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,544
Riemann Sum with subintervals/partition

Quote Quote by MelissaJL View Post
Okay, -1 lies in the interval [-2, 0], 1 lies in [0, 1] or [1, 3], take your pick, 2 lies in [1, 3] so we better pick [0, 1] for the 1, and 4 lies in [3, 4].
The length of [-2, 0] is 0-(-2)= 2, the length of [0, 1] is 1- 0= 1, the length of [1, 3] is 3- 1= 2, and the length of [3, 4] is 4- 3= 1.

So the Riemann sum is f(-1)(2)+ f(1)(1)+ f(2)(2)+ f(4)(1) = -13(2)+ 13(1)+ 23(2)+ 43(1)

Now, I know how to calculate other Riemann Sums but I have not encountered one with a partition and subintervals yet.
That's impossible- every Riemann Sum requires a partition. And, it happens, there are NO "subintervals" given unless you mean that the partition itself breaks the interval [-1, 4] into "subintervals". But, again, that is true of every Riemann Sum.

I tried to do the autodidactic thing and look up examples and videos but I could not find one similar to this. If I could get some help on how I approach this type of question that would be great.

The answer is 79.

Register to reply