ITunes- buying songs, then album

by honestrosewater
Tags: album, buying, itunes, songs
Share this thread:
honestrosewater
Mar9-05, 02:52 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,330
I can't find an answer anywhere else. Does anyone know how they charge you when you buy an album that contains songs you've already purchased? I think it would be fair for them to not charge you for those songs, but they don't price albums by the song anyway so I'm not sure how it would work.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
dduardo
Mar9-05, 10:17 PM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
You should try and contact apple directly to get the answer.
honestrosewater
Mar10-05, 12:44 AM
PF Gold
Drats. Okay, thanks.

The_Professional
Mar11-05, 12:06 AM
P: 583
ITunes- buying songs, then album

Quote Quote by honestrosewater
I can't find an answer anywhere else. Does anyone know how they charge you when you buy an album that contains songs you've already purchased? I think it would be fair for them to not charge you for those songs, but they don't price albums by the song anyway so I'm not sure how it would work.
I believe Apple consider this as separate entities, and as such you are charge accordingly. Whether you already have the song or not.

Additionally, Apple doesn't make money in Itunes either, it's the dirtbag RIAA who gets in 95+ percent of the profits. Okay, I'm going offtopic now..
honestrosewater
Mar11-05, 01:10 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by The_Professional
I believe Apple consider this as separate entities, and as such you are charge accordingly. Whether you already have the song or not.

Additionally, Apple doesn't make money in Itunes either, it's the dirtbag RIAA who gets in 95+ percent of the profits. Okay, I'm going offtopic now..
Do you know of a better option? I don't want to use Napster To Go. Napster Light looks like the same thing as iTunes- is it better?
dduardo
Mar11-05, 06:59 AM
Emeritus
Stay away from Napster like the plague. Once you stop paying the monthly fee you lose all your songs. You basically rent the songs from them.
The_Professional
Mar11-05, 10:04 AM
Do you know of a better option? I don't want to use Napster To Go. Napster Light looks like the same thing as iTunes- is it better?
Well, yes but it's not legal

I can private message you a link if you like. But dduardo is right, stay away from Napster they rip members off. ITunes isn't bad though I'd stick with it if you want to continue paying. And off the top of my head is Emusic: http://www.emusic.com/promo/preview.html which have a decent selection as well.
dduardo
Mar11-05, 10:35 AM
Emeritus
If you thought those videos of the RIAA raiding your house were a joke think again:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/0,39023...184042,00.htm\

They are using an Anton Piller order to send RIAA officials to do raids without the persons consent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Piller_order

This cartel really needs to be broken up.
Anttech
Mar11-05, 11:05 AM
P: 1,401
In the netherlands its not ilegal to use Peer to peer software...
honestrosewater
Mar11-05, 11:20 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by dduardo
Stay away from Napster like the plague. Once you stop paying the monthly fee you lose all your songs. You basically rent the songs from them.
Right, that's Napster To Go. There's also Napster Light that works like iTunes- buy @ $.99/song.
Quote Quote by The_Professional
Well, yes but it's not legal
So it's not better. As long as they stop extending the copyright period (what is it now, 300 years?), I have fewer problems paying than not paying.
But dduardo is right, stay away from Napster they rip members off. ITunes isn't bad though I'd stick with it if you want to continue paying. And off the top of my head is Emusic: http://www.emusic.com/promo/preview.html which have a decent selection as well.
Thanks, I'll check them out. The annoying thing about iTunes is that songs are saved as M4Ps, and the only way to convert them to another file type is by burning them as another file type.
honestrosewater
Mar11-05, 11:21 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Anttech
In the netherlands its not ilegal to use Peer to peer software...
How does the recording industry make money (or do they)?
The_Professional
Mar11-05, 11:21 PM
Right, that's Napster To Go. There's also
So it's not better.
Contrary to what the RIAA is brainwashing people with, the technology itself is not inherently "evil" or "bad".
Moonbear
Mar12-05, 12:19 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
I think you get charged the same whether you already own the song or not, because when you download the album, you'll get a second copy of that song (whether you want it or not). It would be the same as the old days of vinyl when you could buy a single or an album, but you didn't get a discount on an album if you already owned a single of one of the songs on it.

On the plus side, you can more than make up for the occasional replicated song with all the free songs they give away. They've had so many promotions lately, I've been downloading 3 and 4 songs a week for free (it hasn't just been the one free-music Tuesday song anymore). I happen to love that and think it's a great way to get people to buy more. I know I've downloaded a few free songs from artists I had never heard of and absolutely loved them, so then went and got at least one or two more songs from them. I rarely download entire albums though, so haven't tried downloading an album for something I already owned songs from.

Register to reply