Calculating Earth's Circumference Using Eratosthenes Method

In summary, the conversation was about a professor teaching a class how to calculate the Circumference of the Earth using Eratosthenes method. The method involves using the sun's rays and the shadows cast by two sticks to find the angle that subtends the arc, which is the distance between the sticks. However, the professor mentioned an easier method that involves using a protractor to measure the angles instead of using geometry. There was also some confusion about the direction of the shadow cast by the sun and the cardinal directions given in the diagram.
marcusau
My professor was showing us how to calculate the Circumference of the Earth using Eratosthenes method, as shown here. I completely understand this method. http://www.bsin.k12.nm.us/Curriculum/CAP/completed%20files/astronomy/completed%20files/eratosthenescircumf.html

However he told us he had an easier method and to use it. I'm not sure if it works, however. I have attached the slide from his lecture that explains what he was saying to do. I understand Eratosthene's method because the sun's rays are directly over the southern most stick and the shadow cast by the northern stick then can be used to find the angle that subtends the arc, which is the distance between the two sticks.

I suppose using his method you have to measure the angle of the shadow cast by both sticks using a protractor, rather than having the option to use geometry like in the original.

Also, I am not sure about the direction of the shadow cast by the sun based on the way he has the sticks are oriented, given the cardinal directions given in the diagram. Something just seems off to me. I don't understand how it is possible to do this calculatioin without the sun being directly over the southernmost stick.

The site won't let me post the attachment in a new thread as I already posted it here. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=666438
Thanks for any help or input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
marcusau said:
My professor was showing us how to calculate the Circumference of the Earth using Eratosthenes method, as shown here. I completely understand this method. http://www.bsin.k12.nm.us/Curriculum...escircumf.html
I'm getting a "Not found" error on this link.
marcusau said:
However he told us he had an easier method and to use it. I'm not sure if it works, however. I have attached the slide from his lecture that explains what he was saying to do. I understand Eratosthene's method because the sun's rays are directly over the southern most stick and the shadow cast by the northern stick then can be used to find the angle that subtends the arc, which is the distance between the two sticks.

I suppose using his method you have to measure the angle cast by both sticks using a protractor, rather than having the option to use geometry like in the original.

Also, I am not sure about the direction of the shadow cast by the sun based on the way he has the sticks are oriented, given the cardinal directions given in the diagram.

Thanks for any help or input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reposted the link. It works now.

1. How did Eratosthenes calculate the Earth's circumference?

Eratosthenes used a method involving shadows and angles to calculate the Earth's circumference. He observed that at noon on the summer solstice, the sun was directly overhead in Syene, Egypt, and cast no shadow. However, in Alexandria, Egypt, a vertical pillar did cast a shadow.

2. What instruments did Eratosthenes use to measure the angles?

Eratosthenes used a gnomon, or vertical pillar, to measure the angle of the sun's rays at noon in Alexandria. He also used a protractor to measure the angle of the shadow cast by the gnomon.

3. How accurate was Eratosthenes' calculation of the Earth's circumference?

Eratosthenes' calculation was surprisingly accurate, with a margin of error of only about 2%. He estimated the Earth's circumference to be around 250,000 stadia, which is equivalent to about 39,375 kilometers. The actual circumference of the Earth is approximately 40,075 kilometers.

4. What factors could have affected the accuracy of Eratosthenes' calculation?

There are a few factors that could have affected the accuracy of Eratosthenes' calculation. For example, the distance between Syene and Alexandria could have been slightly off, as the measurement was likely done by foot. Additionally, there may have been slight variations in the angle of the sun's rays or the measurement of the shadow due to atmospheric conditions or human error.

5. How has modern technology improved our understanding of the Earth's circumference?

Modern technology, such as advanced satellite imaging and GPS systems, has allowed us to measure the Earth's circumference with greater precision and accuracy. We now know that the Earth is not a perfect sphere, but rather an oblate spheroid, with a slightly flattened shape at the poles. This knowledge has also helped us to better understand the Earth's rotation and its effects on our planet.