Register to reply

Bp and mp

by tipton12
Tags: None
Share this thread:
tipton12
Mar10-05, 12:32 PM
P: 20
does anyone know why it is important to have the melting point of a solute not be higher than the boiling point of the solvent during recrystallization? --having a little trouble rationalizing this.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chinese scientists use laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy to identify toxic cooking 'gutter oil'
New insights into 'switchable water' have implications for water purification and desalination
A glucose meter of a different color provides continuous monitoring
The Bob
Mar10-05, 12:54 PM
P: 1,116
Is this not because the pattern will be from a liquid a solid and then to a gas if you decrease the temperature???

The Bob (2004 )
dextercioby
Mar10-05, 01:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,926
Are u sure you're asking a right thing...?I mean according to me,it should be the other way around.The solvent (water,e.g.) must have the boiling point temp.less than solute's melting point,AT THE SAME PRESSURE...

Daniel.

tipton12
Mar10-05, 02:04 PM
Bp and mp

Ok, you're right dextercioby. I had it the other way around. Oops! But I still am not clear on the reasoning. Here is the website I read it from:
http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/%7Ecfthb/clas...3/Quiz2key.htm
tipton12
Mar10-05, 02:07 PM
I only assumed that if the bp of the solvent was higher thanthe mp of the solute than the compound you're trying to isolate will have already melted and mixed completely with the solvent.
dextercioby
Mar10-05, 02:32 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,926
Nope,recrystallization of a solution means:
boiling of the solvent------------->recrystallization of the solute.
Since you want the solute to be solid (that means "recrystallization"),you need to boil the solvent.Ergo,its boiling point < the melting point of the solute (at the same pressure);

Daniel.

Register to reply