What exactly is centrifugal force

by hms.tech
Tags: centrifugal, force
stevendaryl
Feb2-13, 05:54 PM
P: 1,657
Quote Quote by DaleSpam View Post
Of course they are equally well described using connection coefficients. "Fictitious forces" is just a name for the terms with connection coefficients.
But that's not true. "Fictitious forces" are described equally well using connection coefficients, but not the other way around, because connection coefficients are more general--they are used whenever one takes a derivative of a vector, regardless of whether it involves forces or not.
DaleSpam
Feb2-13, 07:26 PM
Mentor
P: 16,488
Quote Quote by stevendaryl View Post
But that's not true. "Fictitious forces" are described equally well using connection coefficients, but not the other way around, because connection coefficients are more general--they are used whenever one takes a derivative of a vector, regardless of whether it involves forces or not.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The terms in the equation of motion with the connection coefficients are fictitious forces. I didn't mean to imply that such terms in other equations were called fictitious forces.

In the equations of motion "fictitious forces" is just a name for the terms with connection coefficients.
stevendaryl
Feb2-13, 07:29 PM
P: 1,657
Quote Quote by DaleSpam View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The terms in the equation of motion with the connection coefficients are fictitious forces. I didn't mean to imply that such terms in other equations were called fictitious forces.
Okay. Yes, I certainly agree that the expression

[itex]- m \Gamma^i_{jk} U^j U^k [/itex]

can unambiguously be called "the fictitious (or inertial) forces"

Register to reply